Cycling hats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cap during the hot summer day (1). The helmet is just too hot and sweaty.
Caps, HTC highroad, Movistar, and Campagnola.

Why wear a helmet ever then? Seems to be rather at odds to the reasons why people choose to wear a helmet, which are surely as valid on a sunny day as a cold grey one?

I am not starting a helmet debate by the way! :whistle:

SS Retro

retro team cap under helmet, cafe stop helmet off lounging in cool looking cycling cap!

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
how do you stop your cap blowing off when going fast downhill? :wub: off your head i mean !!

Leaway2

Lycrist
Why wear a helmet ever then? Seems to be rather at odds to the reasons why people choose to wear a helmet, which are surely as valid on a sunny day as a cold grey one?

I am not starting a helmet debate by the way! :whistle:
Because it keeps my head warm on cold days! I commute every day and its quite cool at 6:30.

Now I realise a helmet is never going to be as cool as riding about sans helmet with a bald head, but if you are finding a helmet unbearably hot, it suggests you don't own a very good helmet!

This very possibly true in my case. I bought not knowing how hot it would be though.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Cycling caps are quite tight fitting and only have a teeny peak...also they stick well to the bald blokes' sweaty heads! xx(

Amanda P

Legendary Member
how do you stop your cap blowing off when going fast downhill? :wub: off your head i mean !!
Hear hear. Mrs Uncle Phil shrivels up with sunburn the minute the sun comes out, so she has to be slathered in sun cream and wear a hat at all times. Trouble is, whenever we ride the tandem down a hill, sooner or later her hat blows off and we have to stop to pick it up.

What's needed is a cap with vents in the peak to let the air thru without letting the sun through. I hereby serve notice that I had this idea first, unless someone knows different, in which case, where can I buy it?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Now I realise a helmet is never going to be as cool as riding about sans helmet with a bald head, but if you are finding a helmet unbearably hot, it suggests you don't own a very good helmet!

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
My cap doesn't blow off..now me, that's another thing altogether. :smile:

MarkF

Guru
I've never owned either, I would go for cap if I was forced (under threat of death) because who'd want a stripey bonce?

I do think some caps look coolio. :smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
On really blindingly sunny spring days (if any) when the sun is low in the sky, cap under the helmet. Hot sunny summer days (if any), just the helmet.

OP
OP
S

Soup890

Crazy
I might get one since some of you guys pointed out the positives.

I will try and find a Specialized one to match my bike.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I take it off for the duration and hang it over my bar end :thumbsup: but always put it straight back on as i look like Tintin at the bottom of most hills :blush:

I wear a baseball cap to keep the sun and the rain off my face, and to stop the forward momentum from giving me the aforementioned Tintin fringe... it's larger peak also works quite well as a plough when going through those inevitable insect clouds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom