Cycling in 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fauj270

Regular
Hi All

Happy new year!!! currently i live in Falkirk and looking to sign up to a few cycling events this year. ive only ever done 1 before (pedal for Scotland). I had a quick look via google for events near me and in Scotland but they are all over the country. Can anyone recommend any events they have done around Scotland that i can sign up for. id be keen to do my first 100 mile event this year as well. Any advice welcome!

Slick

Guru
I have signed up for 100k charity night rider in Glasgow in June.

I get to ride 100k and raise a couple of quid for my favourite charity, what's not to like?

https://www.nightrider.org.uk/glasgow

OP
OP
F

Fauj270

Regular
Thanks Slick! I am going to sign up to the night rider event in June, does look to be ideal. I will need to pick up a decent pair of lights though between now and then

Slick

Guru
Thanks Slick! I am going to sign up to the night rider event in June, does look to be ideal. I will need to pick up a decent pair of lights though between now and then
Nice. You will need lights but remember the time of year so hopefully they won't need to be that good. Anyway, enjoy. :thumbsup:

My personal favourite is the Highland Perthshire Challenge. Absolutely adored it both times I've done it, with organisers going above and beyond. It's for a good cause that clearly means a lot to them. And it's an epic day in the saddle.

If you're feeling particularly brave and strong there's always the 3 Pistes Sportive or its big brother the three day Tour of the Highlands, of which the 3 Pistes is merely one day. Only done the sportive, which was a truly memorable ride but probably the toughest sportive around.

The best ones in terms of scenery are the Bealach Beag and Bealach Mor, both of which feature arguably the best climb in the UK - up there with the famous cols of the Alps or the Pyrenees. Difficult to get to, though.

Slick

Guru
My personal favourite is the Highland Perthshire Challenge. Absolutely adored it both times I've done it, with organisers going above and beyond. It's for a good cause that clearly means a lot to them. And it's an epic day in the saddle.

If you're feeling particularly brave and strong there's always the 3 Pistes Sportive or its big brother the three day Tour of the Highlands, of which the 3 Pistes is merely one day. Only done the sportive, which was a truly memorable ride but probably the toughest sportive around.

The best ones in terms of scenery are the Bealach Beag and Bealach Mor, both of which feature arguably the best climb in the UK - up there with the famous cols of the Alps or the Pyrenees. Difficult to get to, though.
I've thought about trying the Perthshire challenge a couple of times now but never got round to it. Might try and change that this year even if it's just the shorter run.

Yep, another vote for the Bealach Beag - http://www.handsonevents.co.uk/bealach-beag

I`ve done it four times and it is simply stunning. It`s the hardest thing I`ve ever done on a bike, the climb is just relentless, none of those nice hair-pins to smooth out the road until you are passed the 6 mile mark and then you get four in a row with gradients of 25% and over. Sa Calobra in Majorca was a doddle compared to the Bealach.

You need to be quick off the mark to get accomodation for this years event as there are limited places to stay in Shieldaig

Top Bottom