cycling in high winds... which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
just online ordering my fortnightly groceries
in a fit of extravagence - added a bottle of Malt [Jura] to be delivered too...
plan a day of DVD movies by the coal fire with ''several'' wee drams ...........................:cold:..............

South Lanarkshire
  1. Yellow warning of wind
    To:1800 on Tue 21 October
    Gales, and more locally severe gales, are expected to affect much of the country on Tuesday. Whilst Monday night will see wet and windy conditions sweeping eastwards, the strongest winds are expected to occur after the rain clears and winds veer northwesterly through Tuesday morning.
  2. Gusts exceeding 55 mph are likely inland, with 60 to 70 mph gusts in some exposed coastal areas in the west and possibly to around 80 mph around coasts in northern Scotland..

Yeah, put a sail on your back, cycle downwind and see what happens:rolleyes:

I agree. You need one of these:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRf8OAbHuUMyi_OItnX2yn9ba2S3sABwH7Op7u9TX4Ql0uanKuH.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Take the heaviest bike. Last storms we had here it served me well, only had to dismount near the river where it's really exposed.

D

Deleted member 1258

If it doesn't rain I'll just ride as normal, if it's raining when its time to go to work I'll drive.

Wet and breezy in Holbrooks this morning, looks like I'm in the car.

DWiggy

Über Member
The ride in today was fine, blustery and a bit of a head wind but nothing like they predicted for Gravesend/Kent, in fact it was rather enjoyable.

Leaway2

Lycrist
OK for me too. No rain at the start so still in shorts although the Altura rain coat came out for the first time in a long time. Wind pushing me along, very nice. Then the heavens opened about a mile from work (about 7:15).

Drago

Legendary Member
Blowy here in central englandland. I don't think I'd feel safe cycling in that.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Bit windy. Fun for the majority with a strong tailwind. The last mile along the exposed coast road with a side wind was unsurprisingly less fun. Unfortunately the rain/hail turned up for that bit, otherwise I thought I was getting into work dry.

In the end I rode the Horizon as the hybrid had a flat tyre and I couldn't be bothered changing it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well , took the car last night and although the wind did not get too bad it was peeing it down, on top of nearly 2 hours overtime i was glad just to get home .Wind and rain certainly got a lot worse this morning and kept me awake . If the weather is reasonable i will be on 2 wheels again tonight .

went by bike. out was fine (other than one fast downhill where the gates and holes in the hedges made life interesting). coming home was more interesting because of the headwind... it was wetter going out than coming back, and there are branches down everywhere locally. One local tree looks like it is going to be down (and blocking our lane) before the end of the day - it will tear up half of the lane in the process so it won't be pretty, but at least bikes/pedestrians/horses will still be able to get through even if cars won't be able to!

Top Bottom