Cycling in London 80s style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm depressed at the haircuts.

jay clock

Massive member
I am watching this with fond reminiscence. Who else had those lights that fitted into the holder that the guy in yellow t shirt had at 3m27?

BorderReiver

Veteran
I am watching this with fond reminiscence. Who else had those lights that fitted into the holder that the guy in yellow t shirt had at 3m27?

I had a set, front and back. They were French Wonder lights and ran off a flat (as in shape, not charge) battery- but not for very long. They had the light output of a sick glow-worm but unlike the "Never Ready" which was about the only alternative at the time they didn't rattle. The plastic bracket could also be fitted and adjusted without tools.

Lonestar

Veteran
Pretty sure 9m17 is part of my commute nowadays where there is a rat run of pedestrians to Waterloo via the backstreets.During the rush hours that is.

I seem to remember them but can't remember if I had a set.It was so long ago.:wacko:

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
No SPD's/Lycra/Hi Viz or those blasted mobile phones.Happy days.

Toe clips used to ruin endless pairs of trainers though till I discovered SPD's many years ago.

betty swollocks

large member
in 1980, I used to commute from Chiswick to EC2 on my Moulton.
One day, a pedal spindle broke on my journey in, so I detoured to Covent Garden Cycles to get the bike fixed and was soundly told off by its proprietor, Norman Hiller, for keeping it in such a poor condition.

I commuted across London - Fulham to Blackfriars in the 80s - apart from the odd taxi driver it was pretty innocuous - crossed London this week and had to keep my wits about me - cyclists both left and right

rrarider

Veteran
I commuted in London in the 1980s and still have my Wonder lights. I've also got the ball and socket clamp and mounting bracket. I'm tempted to get some 1289 batteries from the Small Battery Company

Top Bottom