Cycling in London 80s style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I am watching this with fond reminiscence. Who else had those lights that fitted into the holder that the guy in yellow t shirt had at 3m27?
I still have a pair!
They were a revekation, but in the first winter I soon switched to a bottle dynamo and never looked back.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
So little traffic!
But i do recall a lot of fights between drivers and cyclists and some with a small wooden cosh on thir handlebars fir nanging car roofs and wing mirrors!

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I enjoyed that, from the 6th form style credits, the attack of the synth music and as a game of spot the cars of my childhood. Here's my totally unprofessional critique.

My highlights, the dude at 3m 21s giving the arm crossed scowl at the Renault 4, not sure if disgust at driver or the car, the guy immediately after at 3m.25s trying hard to look cool but failing, the finger tap on the trackie bottoms is just too Flashdance. He's immediately given a demo of cool by the racing Don at 3m 37s. The woman at 3m 39s I initially thought was cycling along blindfolded until I realised it was the 80's and Cippolini style ski-ing goggles were all the rage. The old boy at 10.12 ignoring all surrounding cycling provision and nonchalantly cycling up the pavement made me LOL. Rapha HQ will be having an epiphany seeing the dude at 21m 05s, cycling has long been described as the 'new golf' yet somehow the full 70's pimp golfing jumpers never made the transition to two wheels, until next season…….

The bit at 12.20 where the cyclists are given a 'special signal' that allows them to go, only to have to stop immediately for crossing peds gave me a flashback to cycling round Parliament Square last week where exactly the same happens. Who comes up with these phasings?….Sheesh so that's been policy since the 80's, I thought some bright spark had come up with that idea this century. Yes that bit made me facepalm at how things have'nt changed.

Proper LOLS again at 14.50 with the Leo Sawyer afro homage dude talking us through a new route. Having started his piece to camera pretty much in the middle of the road while the traffic ahead is obviously stationary at the lights, the lights change and the traffic moves away, but our pro of light entertainment calmly finished his piece to camera as traffic whizzes by this new talking traffic island, no one seems to comment on this either, though I was expecting the cab driver to wind down his window and 'av a go at this clown. Is everyone spaced out on Prozac or just chilled because there's hardly any traffic at all, it looks blissfully quiet compared to today.

Further LOLS at 18.30 as our red trousered hero, accompanied by thrilling, tense Airwolf-lite music, is followed by a cabbie in a rubbish slow motion UK version of the film Duel, surviving against the odds, our hero seems to admit the obvious flaw in the design is its full of bloody cabbies.^_^

It almost went the whole episode without any helmets, until right at the end where they are ironically not being used on the roads but by kids shredding round the BMX track, one of them in full Raleigh Burner kit I noticed jealously.

Final point, crikey mens short were too short back then, surprised we did'nt get an eye full of some dangling cherries there.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to commute in 1980 to 1983 by bike. I can't remember ever being in conflict with another road user.

It all looks very orderly, reminiscent of Amsterdam or Copenhagen. When did a small number of British cyclists acquire their anarchic attitude to the rules of the road, I wonder?

Top Bottom