Cycling in the Alps - which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pfm401

Any views on best bike for road cycling in the Alps - staying in Le Bourg d'Oisans and doing Alpe d'Huez, Galibier etc. I'm a leisure road cyclist and ride a Trek Alpha at home (aluminium frame, carbon fork, Tiagra), so not looking to break any records!!

Key questions:
- There's a Giant for hire that sounds similar - views on these?
- Is upgrade to carbon worth it?
- Disc brakes or rim brakes - I've never used discs on a road bike and heard horror stories about both on the long descents!!

Thanks, Paul.

vickster

Legendary Member
One with the right gears and lots of them. Go try a road bike with disc brakes - when are you going? If soon ie winter, I'd want disc brakes myself

What Giant is it?

Are you going to be carrying luggage?

I borrowed an old steel road bike with downtube shifters when I was in Grenoble. As long as the bike fits you and your gears are ***low enough***, I don't think it matters what you ride. If you have a favourite saddle or pedal system use that and consider bringing your repair kit and small lights for fog and mist.
I had to improvise some luggage because the high passes and descents can require extra layers. Carry some material for lashing stuff to bike, eg toe clip straps.
There is a really good bike shop on the road out of Grenoble called Routens.

OP
OP
P

pfm401

One with the right gears and lots of them. Go try a road bike with disc brakes - when are you going? If soon ie winter, I'd want disc brakes myself

What Giant is it?

Are you going to be carrying luggage?
All of them seem to be compacts with either 32 or 34 rear, 105 or above so 11 speed which is all fine! We're going in June next year, no luggage

June can be variable at altitude so come prepared. So can every other month. I was caught in early snow/heavy rain in September but had enough foul weather gear to make a ride possible.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
All of them seem to be compacts with either 32 or 34 rear, 105 or above so 11 speed which is all fine! We're going in June next year, no luggage

All will be good with any such bike.

Ascents are long but not steep by uk standards, 34/32 is more than low enough.

It's awful to admit it, but whether carbon or aluminium will make bugger all difference except in bling points at the cafe.

Have a fabulous trip, stay safe on the descents, particularly if wet.

contadino

Veteran
If you're prepared to stop to rest (legs going up, forearms going down) you can ride the Alps on anything. I think my bike has 14-34 rear (megarange) and I found it hard going. Brakes should be modern ones. My weinmanns were not safe and I forgot how scary it was and didn't change them before going the 2nd time. Make sure you have some spare blocks/pads though. You'll be shocked how quick you get through them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There is absolutely nothing wrong with disc brakes on long descents. Forget get any horror stories you heard. They are all nonsense.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There is absolutely nothing wrong with disc brakes on long descents. Forget get any horror stories you heard. They are all nonsense.
To be fair, I do know of tandemists who have overheated and warped rear discs used as drag brakes.
Descending on any bike, you shouldn't ride the brakes constantly.

To be fair, I do know of tandemists who have overheated and warped rear discs used as drag brakes.
Descending on any bike, you shouldn't ride the brakes constantly.
My rims got very hot on a twisty loaded descent. Hot rims can blow tubes, hot disks can't.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One last weeks tour of mountainous Southern Spain one of our number blew a tube on a long descent due to overheating rims. No such worries with my disc brakes.

contadino

Veteran
I don't even know what granny braking is. What I do know is that on long, steep descents, if you let your speed get too high and you have poor 80s brakes, you're out of control.

Or hire a bike - Cycle Huez have a good range. I did Alpe D`Huez this year and hired a bike from them and it was excellent - came with a 34/32 which made cycling up the climbs relatively easy.

Take it easy on the first four corners as this is the steepest section, it`s a doodle after that.

I did try to do the Croix de la Fer but had to give up as the temps were in excess of 37 degrees and I was melting (we were there in June).

And dont forget to zip up your top and suck your tummy in for the guys taking the photos near the top of Alpe D`Huez

Top Bottom