Cycling in the Alps - which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Mod Note:

Well, that went wrong surprisingly easily. I've cleaned up the disagreement and offer apologies to anyone whose valid points may have had to go along with the macho posturing.

The OP is looking for advice on what bike to use in the Alps. Can we get back to helpful suggestions from here on.

Thanks.

my report on reservations on cantis/but not Vs seems to have gone.

I don't think there's any great problem with rim brakes as long as you are sensible.

Which includes using sensible rims and not "new improved" things with fag paper depth.

Folks (of all ages and genders) have been using them for a long time on hills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any views on best bike for road cycling in the Alps - staying in Le Bourg d'Oisans and doing Alpe d'Huez, Galibier etc. I'm a leisure road cyclist and ride a Trek Alpha at home (aluminium frame, carbon fork, Tiagra), so not looking to break any records!!

Key questions:
- There's a Giant for hire that sounds similar - views on these?
- Is upgrade to carbon worth it?
- Disc brakes or rim brakes - I've never used discs on a road bike and heard horror stories about both on the long descents!!

Thanks, Paul.

Just out of interest, where are you staying in Bourg? We had rather, er, rustic accommodation which wasn`t exactly cheap either!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Any views on best bike for road cycling in the Alps - staying in Le Bourg d'Oisans and doing Alpe d'Huez, Galibier etc. I'm a leisure road cyclist and ride a Trek Alpha at home (aluminium frame, carbon fork, Tiagra), so not looking to break any records!!

Key questions:
- There's a Giant for hire that sounds similar - views on these?
- Is upgrade to carbon worth it?
- Disc brakes or rim brakes - I've never used discs on a road bike and heard horror stories about both on the long descents!!

Thanks, Paul.
Maybe it's just me, but I would be wary of hiring something all singing and dancing for a holiday trip. I would stick to hiring a bike similar in spec to your Trek Alpha, or you risk coming home and finding that you don't quite see your own bike in the same light. There follows an expensive trip to your favourite bike shop...

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
One with the right gears and lots of them.

Two is enough, one for up the mountain and one for back down

Top Bottom