Cycling in the darker months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Not so much bright, more so a decent one.

Something like a Cateye will more then suffice in town/city riding
ca475tl61.jpg
I have one of these mounted vertically on my seat post, they are excellent.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I went out today in rush hour traffic and must have gone past about 50 cars. I am not sure if it's me but I could have sworn as a few stopped and started they managed to stop more towards the center than the middle of their lane as I was coming up on the right.
Yep they do that to attempt to stop you passing, nobbers......................................(they're jealous really. :bicycle:)

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

That's nice of them! Never seen that before, I thought I was imagining it! Maybe if it happens again I should drag my cleat down the side of the nice merc!
Yep they do that to attempt to stop you passing, nobbers......................................(they're jealous really. :bicycle:)

vickster

Legendary Member
That's nice of them! Never seen that before, I thought I was imagining it! Maybe if it happens again I should drag my cleat down the side of the nice merc!
Make sure you have third party indemnity cover first to avoid a big bill for a respray. I assume you are joking, But are the one under the onus to filter carefully, they can sit where they want in their lane ultimately, jealous, obnoxious or not

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
+1 on the yellow glasses. You can get 'em cheap enough and they really help with glare from headlights.
I tend to stick to roads with street lights but at 5-6pm this is where all the traffic is so I try and stay off commuter route which isn't easy. Thanks @ManiaMuse for the reminder to buy some reflective tape!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you have a reasonably bright back light, you are probably far more visible at night than when you are unlit in the daytime amidst the usual visual clutter. I think you are a bit safer too but I have no statistics to back that up. I suspect that motorists take a lot more care at night compared to their listless, automatic, mind-numbing commutes. I'm certainly more alert behind the wheel at night.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

It is a good question. Yes I can but I also go to the gym at lunch time, but not everyday now.
Probably a silly question, but can't you go out at lunch time? I work from home too, and enjoy the ability to go out when I like.

Top Bottom