Cycling Jersey.. Yay or Nay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
You think you're here for advice but you're here to be corrupted! :evil:

I have a really fab turquoise t-shirt dress I bought on Venice beach with a huge bit of comic art-work on it - deep-sea diver being attacked by a giant octopus - I wear it for cycling and feel it brightens everyone's day!
That sounds fantastic! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

had to laugh at the corruption! I think I'm pretty much corrupted anyhow. :angel: not every mum / wife has a half sleeve tattoo!

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
@User13710 of this forum has one of those. She wore it on one of the toughest legs of our club ride from London to John O'Groats in 2012. It's a great one for a group ride and it looks good. Having a jersey that makes you feel good riding your bike is a good idea whatever kind of cyclist you are.
Well done to you all! :smile:
the reason I took up a cycling recently is a friend / gym instructor I know from the Powerlifting / Body Lifting scene. He's taken up cycling and my god he's lost SO much weight, yes he's lost muscle but he's off to do lands end to john o groats for charity - I assume a section of it if it's a team thing or maybe the whole thing I dunno. But it's pretty bloody inspiring, whilst I love lifting I would like to be slimmer. I look like a russian lifter type at the moment! haha

Broadside

Guru
Wear what makes you feel good. It's much like your bike, you need to have one that makes you feel good so you will get out and ride it, I know mine does.

Lycra all the way for me on my road bike, it's the only thing I have ever worn while riding it.

Ganymede

Veteran
Well done to you all! :smile:
the reason I took up a cycling recently is a friend / gym instructor I know from the Powerlifting / Body Lifting scene. He's taken up cycling and my god he's lost SO much weight, yes he's lost muscle but he's off to do lands end to john o groats for charity - I assume a section of it if it's a team thing or maybe the whole thing I dunno. But it's pretty bloody inspiring, whilst I love lifting I would like to be slimmer. I look like a russian lifter type at the moment! haha
Well it means you're strong! Also although I'm sure lifting is fantastic, the great thing about cycling is the fact that it takes you outdoors. I really believe that outdoor exercise is the best possible kind - the extra stimulation to the nerves and brain, the need for response and reaction to the environment and to unpredictable events, the vitamin D! I think there is an incredible feeling of wellbeing and possibility that comes from cycling which I hope you are enjoying.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Well it means you're strong! Also although I'm sure lifting is fantastic, the great thing about cycling is the fact that it takes you outdoors. I really believe that outdoor exercise is the best possible kind - the extra stimulation to the nerves and brain, the need for response and reaction to the environment and to unpredictable events, the vitamin D! I think there is an incredible feeling of wellbeing and possibility that comes from cycling which I hope you are enjoying.
you're right :smile: and it's part of the appeal too - I used to run years ago but have a dropped arch at the moment so running is out - I tried - Cycling doesn't seem to affect it. I must admit I'm not a great cyclist as never really did so as a kid and it's been 22 years gap since last bike, but I'm really enoying. I am having to concentrate a lot but I know that'll pass and being outdoors -without an unpredictable horse under me- is a bonus. :smile:
I was suprirsed my fitness / strength is helping I kind of expected to be worse than I am so it's all good.

A Cycle jersey won't match my bike (apart from the yellow) but hey.. maybe I'll live by the N+1 you all go on about next year. :laugh:

Ganymede

Veteran
Re concentrating - I use my bike almost exclusively for utility cycling, ie I am always going somewhere specific: station, aged parents, farm shop, friend's house. The distance is usually 3.5 - 5 miles and these days I sometimes add a little more on the home stretch - of course then I have to cycle back so it is another 3 - 5 miles but with a long rest in the middle! I do it anything from 2 to 6 times a week - usually more like 3 or 4 - and it has made a massive difference to my general health. Some weeks I might clock up 40 miles and others only 7. The thing is, that if you are going somewhere you don't need to concentrate as you have a natural goal. Just a thought!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Are they only for club riders / serious speed demons? Not commuting / pleasure cyclists like me.. ?

I never thought I'd like one, but then I saw this:
Rosie-the-Riveter---Women-s-Short-Sleeve-Cycle-Jersey81.jpg

And I'd be seriously tempted - if they had my size.. Rosie the riveter is a huge icon in the rockabilly scene which I am part of, I have the tattoo's and general style of clothes in 'life' so it appeals to me to reflect a bit of this when cycling. I think this might have to be a goal for next spring / summer. Even if only worn on special rides! ;)

Do you wear cycle shirts / jerseys? For all rides or long / special or club rides only?
Nice :smile:
As I mainly ride a MTB, I'm usually in baggy shorts and a t-shirt (with a cycling theme!).
I wear what's comfortable, which for me is usually loose fitting stuff, but do wear lycra shorts and longs.
Go what your comfortable with :smile:

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
You will!!
5 miles was my first 'long' ride last year.
Now it's 15 as a regular ride and 30 for a longer one :smile:
Well done on your progress! You must be thrilled and proud - you should be!
I hit 3.2 on Thursday so I'm pleased with that - I know it'll come as part of what is wearing me out is seat height = knees not feeling too good but until I get my cycle away / balance sorted I am worried about putting up my seat height. Thinking about putting it up a tiny bit at a time so I don't really notice!

As a powerlifter I've trained for progression - so even 2.5kg is still moving toward a bigger goal - so am trying to apply that to my cycling ;).

Nice :smile:
As I mainly ride a MTB, I'm usually in baggy shorts and a t-shirt (with a cycling theme!).
I wear what's comfortable, which for me is usually loose fitting stuff, but do wear lycra shorts and longs.
Go what your comfortable with :smile:

Thanks :smile: I've been wearing lycra and cotton capri length pants and a cotton baggy tshirt - mostly baseball style as that's what I like. But normally in the summer / spring train in a vest top so was thinking that something cooling / wicking would be good.
I will most likely wait till next year to treat myself to a nice top and stick to hoodies for winter if I'm honest! lol I don't ride horses in more than a hoodie over the winter months as get warm so figured that'd be about right for cycling.. maybe even just a long sleeved tee.

Glad I'm not alone in baggy tee's!

Top Bottom