Cycling less at the moment and feeling unmotivated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So you're the one that broke Strava!^_^

Wel done on getting out!

It strikes me from reading your OP that motivation isn't really the problem, opportunity is. As your ride today emphasised the time on the bike is good for all kinds of motivation.
With that in mind how about considering....

Take the bike to work (or get a beater) and take an hour during your (long) workday. You may well find that helping with stress, motivation and energy.
Or consider commuting. Depending on distance maybe not every day.

Am unaware of your domestic situation but what about a homehelp/cleaner person who comes in once or twice a week. Expense yes, but look at the benefits.

Food. I've no idea what kind of cook you are but if you have a freezer there is no shortage of healthy meals you can make, portion and freeze. After a few goes in the kitchen you can have a variety of choices in your freezer. Take one out in the morning and it's ready for reheating in the evening.
There are some very simple recipes (chili was my favourite) that are idiot proof.
Cooking can be very satisfying but if it's not your thing ask around. Someone may be looking for a few extra quid in the run up to Christmas.

Your sleeping weekend may simply be down to your body reacting to overwork. No harm to schedule a gp visit (more time!) anyway.

And yes, it looks like work needs some strategic attention. I've no idea how much control you have over that.

I don't see any "me me me" ramblings, just someone who sees a problem and asking for advice. A lot of us have been there.

Well done on getting out and the best of luck going forward.

Hi and hope you're all well 👍
I don't know about you guys and gals but, my cycling miles have taken a serious nose dive these last couple of month's.
Every night after work i would cock my leg over the bike and go exploring the countryside, but recently it's just not happening.
Work has gone ballisticly busy and with a lack of staff I'm constantly running around like an headless chicken trying to keep on top of it. This has had a knock on effect of having absolutely no energy left in the evening to get out there on the bike. In fact some day's I've gone to bed literally an hour after finishing work because I'm so knackered.
When the weekends come I'm then spending time catching up on the neglected house hold chores, keeping me away from my bike. Because spare time is short I've started eating unhealthy. Grabbing food on the go from petrol stations ect is not the ideal thing and realise this has got to stop before my six chins and five bellies make a unwelcomed return !!!!
I've also gone through a period of around 4 weeks, where my energy levels have been non existent. Just the other week i literally slept the whole weekend with just the odd hour being awake.
The odd times I've managed to get out on the bike have been amazing though. You can feel your whole mood lifting as the miles clicked by.
Obviously i don't want this situation to continue and hope things will change soon, where as i can get out there again and enjoy cycling fully, otherwise I'm going to have to make some changes in my work life. At one point when i was feeling so drained I was considering going to the doctors to see if ive got any underlying problems, because it got that bad.
Anyway enough of my "me me me" ramblings and hope you've not been in the same boat as me, but please tell if you've been through the same situation as me.
All the very best,
John

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
There's good points there @HobbesOnTour and ideas to take on board. Thanks for spending the time sharing them

There's good points there @HobbesOnTour and ideas to take on board. Thanks for spending the time sharing them
Not a problem.

A lot of us have been there before.
It may not be your style, but often those close to us (in work too) can see what's going on and are happy to help if asked.

I was blessed one time when a colleague took it upon herself to sort out my diet at least one day a week. A home cooked meal every Monday. When that happened I figured out I'd better start doing more myself.
Others facilitated me popping out on the bike at strange times.
Bit by bit it became a virtuous circle as opposed to a vicious one.

Good luck

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
.... Work has gone ballistically busy and with a lack of staff I'm constantly running around like an headless chicken trying to keep on top of it....Grabbing food on the go from petrol stations ect .....The odd times I've managed to get out on the bike have been amazing though...
When your work life balance tips into 'work' more then it can spiral negatively.

I have had jobs that were long days plus a three hour daily drive commuting on a route that took a lot out if me, like you I had to use much of my spare time to rest and catch up on chores. But as the saying goes, if you can change things do and accept what you can't; which at the moment maybe your work load. All I can do is tell you what helped me that maybe something that you can implement and change. Eating as healthy as I could and cycling when I could to 'chill out' more 'than work' out to try and wind down from the silly work life I was trying to cope with. Often that translated to getting home and parking the car in the garage and before walking to my flat I would pop on my pub bike and ride for 10 minutes or so, all miles are good miles and even that helped; just a bit but heh better than nothing. I would also occasionally take a bike in the back of the car and break up my journey with a 10 mile loop on the bike; again just to switch off.

For sure sometimes I really didn't fancy those short rides but knew that like you when I did manage it I noticed the benefits, so I made the effort to try and do them; not easy when you have become "unmotivated". For me making those changes helped, in the end only you will know if any changes made both help and significantly if they actually help enough to get you through this tough time, you referenced "lack of staff" at work so hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel?

No harm in making sure all is well health wise with at the doctors of course. Good luck, hope you can find a way of getting through this until things improve

Last edited:
Top Bottom