Cycling Mikey and third party reporting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I will apologise in advance if what I’m about to write here has already been covered.
Re : Gandalf Corner.
The island that the offending vehicles pass on the wrong side is a halfway shelter for pedestrians crossing the road at that point. On the road surface it has “Look Left” markings. If crossing from the pavement towards the centre island it has “Look Right” markings. Those markings make sense because the traffic SHOULD only be coming from either of those directions.
Now imagine that a pedestrian is about to cross the road at that point and seeing those markings, checks in the one direction, and steps out into the road. Bang… hit by a vehicle coming the wrong way because the driver has ignored the mandatory keep left sign.

And you can add to that the additional danger of a cyclist turning left from that adjacent road and potentially ending up on the bonnet of a car.

Mikey has my support.
I think something has been lost in all of this, if when riding around minding your own business you happen to film a wrong doing then fair enough report away.

If however you go out of your way to watch and wait for offences to be committed and selectively challenge people to make a name for yourself and relish in the attention whilst hiding behind a camera, to me you're just a **** !

make a name for yourself and relish in the attention whilst hiding behind a camera, to me you're just a **** !
It takes a special kind of arrogance to claim to read someone's mind and to know their motivations for doing something.

And as for "hiding behind a camera"?
He's standing right there in front of them! There really isn't any less "hiding" than that, is there?
It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that someone will look to remove the camera some day. To face that idea down every single time takes a certain amount of courage. Surely that can be respected even if the method is disagreed with?

He's trying to make a change for the better and I'd like to know how many times in history positive change has come about by people sitting on their **** and just thinking about it.

And as for "selectively challenge" people he's just one person. Just because he can't catch everyone he shouldn't catch anyone?
What a messed up world we'd live in if nothing was done unless the result would be perfect.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I think something has been lost in all of this, if when riding around minding your own business you happen to film a wrong doing then fair enough report away.

If however you go out of your way to watch and wait for offences to be committed and selectively challenge people to make a name for yourself and relish in the attention whilst hiding behind a camera, to me you're just a **** !
A perfect summing up.

You keep saying he is hiding behind a camera as if there is some sort of cowardice in his actìons. A camera is not exactly going to offer much protection, and it has already been explained to you that he is not afraid of confrontation, but that goes against your simplistic stereotype, so you choose to ignore it. Also it would be useless trying to film someone breaking the law if he were not "hiding" behind a camera. Perhaps he should take a pen and paper and draw them before sending his sketch to the police.

He is only "selectively" challenging people that he sees breaking the law, and not motorists who are driving within the law. They are the ones doing the self selecting.

You keep saying he is hiding behind a camera as if there is some sort of cowardice in his actìons. A camera is not exactly going to offer much protection, and it has already been explained to you that he is not afraid of confrontation, but that goes against your simplistic stereotype, so you choose to ignore it. Also it would be useless trying to film someone breaking the law if he were not "hiding" behind a camera. Perhaps he should take a pen and paper and draw them before sending his sketch to the police.

He is only "selectively" challenging people that he sees breaking the law, and not motorists who are driving within the law. They are the ones doing the self selecting.
Confronting someone whilst recording every word and action is protection in itself, if his aim was to simply 'educate' then the need for recording doesn't exist.

If his aim is prosecution, which in part it is, then anonymous filming would be adequate.

The bloke likes the attention and the 'power ' he knows the camera affords him, without that he would have had his face punched in long ago.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Quite right, I’m always meeting drivers on the wrong side of the road. Maybe we should moderate speed around corners or even push the bike?
someone should tell Cyclops that they are suppose to be driving on the right in Ghana, bloody ex-pats.....

Confronting someone whilst recording every word and action is protection in itself, if his aim was to simply 'educate' then the need for recording doesn't exist.

If his aim is prosecution, which in part it is, then anonymous filming would be adequate.

The bloke likes the attention and the 'power ' he knows the camera affords him, without that he would have had his face punched in long ago.
Of course he looks for the attention via his blog/tweets/YouTube, or whatever he uses. That is obvious, and I doubt his aim is simply to educate them.

Whether he would have had his face punched in long ago is arguable and unprovable, as is your assertion he is "hiding" behind a camera. Without the camera he could not do what he does so there would be no point to it.

I suspect he doesn't give a toss about what other people think of his actions because he believes they are justifiable and successful. The fact that people spend so much time discussing his actions probably tells him his tactics are working, as do the prosecutions that arise from those actions.

Criticise away, meanwhile he will carry on filming and helping the police prosecute drivers who are breaking the law.

Even though Lampard did not get prosecuted over this latest film I bet he regrets doing it and will think twice about doing it again because of the bad publicity and the high fees for his loophole solicitor, so another result for Bikey Mikey.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
someone should tell Cyclops that they are suppose to be driving on the right in Ghana, bloody ex-pats.....
Funny you should say that. I've had a few clashes and near misses with cyclists here riding on the wrong side. Don't know whether it's sheer cussed disobedience or if they think it's safer. Can't image the latter as I've seen a few incidents where motorists have missed them as they're looking the wrong way coming out of side roads etc.

Having said that I've had my rear wheel crushed by an old boy on his phone in his 4x4.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Funny you should say that. I've had a few clashes and near misses with cyclists here riding on the wrong side. Don't know whether it's sheer cussed disobedience or if they think it's safer. Can't image the latter as I've seen a few incidents where motorists have missed them as they're looking the wrong way coming out of side roads etc.

Having said that I've had my rear wheel crushed by an old boy on his phone in his 4x4.
Who you gonna call? Reckon he might need a holiday :whistle:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I will apologise in advance if what I’m about to write here has already been covered.
Re : Gandalf Corner.
The island that the offending vehicles pass on the wrong side is a halfway shelter for pedestrians crossing the road at that point. On the road surface it has “Look Left” markings. If crossing from the pavement towards the centre island it has “Look Right” markings. Those markings make sense because the traffic SHOULD only be coming from either of those directions.
Now imagine that a pedestrian is about to cross the road at that point and seeing those markings, checks in the one direction, and steps out into the road. Bang… hit by a vehicle coming the wrong way because the driver has ignored the mandatory keep left sign.
Post #84.

And you can add to that the additional danger of a cyclist turning left from that adjacent road and potentially ending up on the bonnet of a car.

Mikey has my support.
I am imagining me with my previous, for many years, severely visually impaired status, crossing at that corner.
Knowing the particular spots in my town where I only needed to detect traffic from one direction was incredibly helpful. I used to often need to ask - in shops where I was familiar with the staff - if someone could please 'see me across the road'; it's humiliating to have to do that, however much one might pretend that it's not. My preference was usually to walk up to a km merely to reach a crossing spot where I felt a safe passage was realistically achievable. Pelican crossings with audible signals were my preference, but there were a couple of 'easy' crossings not dissimilar to the Gandalf Corner one, where I could cross easily and fairly safely. But differences in design meant the - fortunately! - there was no issue with cars coming at me from the wrong direction ...

Cycling Mikey has my support. I just wish that Lancashire police were as proactive as the Met and some others appear to be in the acceptance and use of video footage in traffic issues.

Top Bottom