Cycling Mikey and third party reporting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Which wouldn't have still been there if Mikey hadn't blocked it.

Plus, that legitimate traffic woulod have to drive through Mikey to reach the car behaving illegally.
There is more than enough evidence, including videos where police are at the scene, for Mikey to be charged with obstructing the highway if that's what he is in fact doing. He literally submits it himself.

PK99

Legendary Member
Clearly, Mikey is selective in the illegality he chooses to report. In this clip, he ignores cars driving on the pavement to get past the obstruction he is a part of.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYLfz538TNs

And here a cyclist cutting Gandalf corner by going onto the pavement:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLQReKZ818

But here chooses to report a driver cutting the same corner on the pavement:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xOXwNdTV4k

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
There is more than enough evidence, including videos where police are at the scene, for Mikey to be charged with obstructing the highway if that's what he is in fact doing. He literally submits it himself.
As I said before
True, but I'm not convinced he is respecting the law himself.

I'm not totally convinced the other way either, but it is certainly arguable that he is obstructing the highway. I suspect that were the police to charge him with that though, the CPS would feel it not in the public interest to proceed.

This bloke is a proper tw@t in my opinion and clearly gets his rocks off on his one man crusade.

I'm surprised no-one has give him a good hiding in the past, he's not really that difficult to find is he?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
True, but the blocking the cars from proceeding is "trying in an unofficial way to prevent crime".

As I have said a number of times, I think videoing and reporting them is entirely laudable. I think we all should do that when such situations happen in front of us, and while I don't think most of us would seek out such situations, I see nothing wrong with him doing so.
The offence has already been committed when he springs into action, so arguably he is not trying to prevent crime in any of his videos. Instead he's ensuring the police have the evidence to take further action (if appropriate).

Mikey does little to directly affect driver behaviour. FPNs and points do that, but publishing those outcomes on youtube ensures millions of drivers are aware that actions have consequences.

He is selective about who he reports

But as far as cyclists are concerned what do you expect him to do
maybe all cyclists should pay road tax and have a registration plate nailed to the back of their bike?:eek::eek:

i.e. he can;t identify them

As far as the drivers going on the pavement while he is dealing with the motorist he is blocking - well OK - but give the man a break and let him deal with one thing at a time.
I have seen him say he will report people for stuff like that when he was waiting for something else.

He has challenged cyclists who go through traffic lights - but there is not much he can do to report it - as evidenced by the Daily Mail comments on any anti-cycling article

but he is selective - but then that is what he is doing - maybe someone else can tackle the other culprits??

mustang1

Legendary Member
Well you should always be able to stop within what you can see (whether on a bike or in a car or any other mode of transport). So yes, you should moderate speed around blind corners. That isn't just about drivers on the wrong side, it could be pedestrians, or the back of a queue of traffic going the right way, or any number of things.
Suppose one is riding around the corner at a speed where you can stop easily, say 10mph. So if there are pedestrians crossing parallel to the road, they are coming at you at 0mph. Therefore you are approaching the pedestrian at 10mph.

But if a car is approaching in the offending lane at 15mph, then I am approaching that car at 25mph, so that's more likely to result in a crash, or atleast a bit of a knock.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
He was assaulted last week, as it happens.
Fair enough, but doubt it was what I think what Shep calls and thinks is a 'Slap'
And as I said, Mikey can handle himself in that type of situation and is under no illusions that what he is doing won't end up in a physical confrontation.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Fair enough, but doubt it was what I think what Shep calls and thinks is a 'Slap'
And as I said, Mikey can handle himself in that type of situation and is under no illusions that what he is doing won't end up in a physical confrontation.
He describes in on his Twitter feed, so go and take a look. I doubt the footage which he was delighted to find later he'd captured is on there because it'll be in the hands of the Police.

Top Bottom