Cycling on dual carriageway and car beeps...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
I did the bit from Faversham to Canterbury when I missed the way into the bits of old road running parallel with it.

The bit near Strood is probably the best bit. Watching the M2 come over your shoulder to join the A2 wakes you up.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not all dual carriageways are national speed limit - I found myself having to use this section of the A12 around Woodbridge last week and it felt to me to be a lot safer than the section of NSL single carriageway leading up to it.
1711402360804.png

Some dual carriageways are so safe, cycling is positively encouraged by the authorities with the provision of signage and even an occasional white line.

View attachment 725455

That the ones I'm thinking of. I've never seen a cyclist on the A14 other than a TT'er and they certainly wont take that path. The A421 that links the A1 to the M1 south of Bedford also has those slip crossing and the last time I drove it (Saturday) they've added instructional signage for the cyclist sometime after June last year!
1711402268067.png

1711402631842.png

Big T

Guru
All these beeps. Perhaps we are misinterpreting them. It could be that the driver wanted to say "nice bike" and was doing their best to express themselves via the medium of car horn.

If someone beeps me, I always think it’s obviosly someone who knows me, so I wave to them. I seem to get passed by a lot of people who know me, even though I don’t recognise them!

pjd57

Veteran
I think that's a Scottish thing, the new A68 south of Edinburgh and the old A90 north of Edinburgh had that bylaw. I'm not sure if such bylaws are legal in England. There's some dual carriageway in England which no one would ever want to cycle on (with the exception of TT'ers) that actually have cycle signage. Not that a TTer would follow it, the signs direct the cyclist on the main carriageway to leave it at a slip, cross the slip perpendicular, then use the slip to rejoin the main carriageway 😂

Edinburgh city bypass, A720 and the A1 in the area are both restricted.
the Aberdeen relief road is too.

clydeside expressway in Glasgow isnt, but you wouldn't want to attempt it

pjd57

Veteran
Worst bit in the West of Scotland has to be the last mile of the A8, coming out of Greenock before it becomes the M8.
Non motorway traffic should be directed off sooner

Baldy

Über Member
I've seen people cycling that section of the A8 they must have a deathwish it frightened me and I was in a 40tonner. I think there is a cycle lane for some of the way but it doesn't seem to go all the way. It's a pity, a cycle route along the south bank of the Clyde would be quite an attraction.

Top Bottom