Cycling over the Severn Bridge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Now I've crossed the bridge (the original one) many, many times in a vehicle. Can some one advise where is best to park up and access the bridge on bike please ? It's been on my to do list for a while ! Thanks.

You can park either side of the bridge, but the best free parking is on Passage Road in Aust:

http://goo.gl/maps/ua4q7

From there you can cycle to the 'Bridge Access Road' and follow the road to the cycle path .

Or you can cycling to the A403 and under the motorway junction and join the north side cycle path.

Alternatively, you can park on the Wye Valley Link Road.

http://goo.gl/maps/zBwNc

Any join the cycle path from there.

There's an underpass on the Welsh side which allows you to pass under the motorway that allows you to cross between the east side and west side path, take care here as there is often broken glass.

OP
OP
Mireystock

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...
Cheers guys !

Near neighbourino from south Gloucs, so there's an underpass ! I couldn't work out how the hell to access the bridge from Chepstow...thanks a lot ! I think my best bet is to park in Chepstow, cycle across and then cycle back...thereby avoiding having to pay to re-enter the Welsh side in a vehicle.

I'm nothing if not frugal...

huwsparky

Über Member
Have a similar journey to make a week next Friday weather permitting. The bridge is about 100 miles from where I live. Going to cross the bridge and get my girlfriend to pick me up the other side as she'll already be up in Wiltshire with the kids.

Looking forward, just hope the weather holds up!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
There
Cheers guys !

Near neighbourino from south Gloucs, so there's an underpass ! I couldn't work out how the hell to access the bridge from Chepstow...thanks a lot ! I think my best bet is to park in Chepstow, cycle across and then cycle back...thereby avoiding having to pay to re-enter the Welsh side in a vehicle.

I'm nothing if not frugal...
There's a cyclepath on both sides of the bridge - if you follow the road out of Chepstow towards the bridge (as if you were in a car) at the last roundabout before the bridge, just as the sliproad for the motorway is leaving the roundabout you just turn harder left to get onto the cyclepath. That will take you along the north side of the bridge.
Google streetview link
If you want to come back along the other side, turn into the Services on the English side, and look to your left - there is a pedestrian/cycle bridge that goes across the tops of the toll booths. Use that to get to the south cyclepath, which has good views of the new bridge. Then use the underpass to get back into the Bulwark housing estate.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Ride it on the road!
"The Popular Severn Bridge Sportive now in its 5th year is being held on Sunday August 30th 2015. Following a recent meeting with the Severn Bridge and highways authorities we have been granted permission to use the M48 motorway to cross the Severn Bridge"

Dark46

Veteran
I love going over the bridge but from Gloucester it's a 60 + mile trip, but it's worth it when you get there

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-14-12-41-02.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-14-12-41-02.png
    203.6 KB · Views: 108
Top Bottom