Cycling Proficiency Test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some 50 years ago the UK Government thought it would improve road safety for primary schools to train children how to ride bicycles on the public highway. Our class was trained by the village policeman whose hand signal instruction to turn left was 'Stick your right arm out and turn it anticlockwise 3 times'. The teacher reminded him that was a hand signal for motorists and we needed to use our left arm to signal left and right for right. We also had to learn our bicycle number that was stamped on the frame underneath what I now know as the chainstay. I still remember that number, 85883bf,

Eventually we all passed the test and received a RoSPA Cycling Proficiency Badge, one for our school blazer and the other for the bicycle handlebars. Amazingly it was in the shape of a triangle so the spiked top was a danger. The teachers were in uproar and the triangular badge was replaced with a round one that has the emblem for the aforesaid triangle stamped on it.

Happy days !

Shortly later there was government cut back and teachers strikes meaning there was no longer a proficiency test. Sad days :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That badge was lethal.
full.jpg

Slick

Guru
I am probably remembering it wrong but I seem to recall getting 97% on that test, probably the highest score I've ever had on a test. :laugh:

Still quite proud of winning all the slow races on a Gnat 18. :becool:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Our cycling proficiency instructor was fantastic. A proper touring cyclist who also ran a touring club for schoolkids. So after cycling proficiency I joined the club and got proper experience on the roads under his supervision. We'd either start from home or turn up at the railway station, about ten or twenty junior school age children and a couple of adults, pile our bikes into the guard's van and go off on a day trip. We also went for full weeks away staying in youth hostels. North Wales, Isle of Wight and even a full round tour of the Netherlands.

Happy days and a good foundation for road riding as well as for being away from home and a bit of independence. Dealt with crashes, mechanicals, bonking, traffic and city riding as well as country roads, all as a kid so it's not a big deal later on.

Twilkes

Guru
Our cycling proficiency testers saw fit to do an 'emergency' stop on a 5% hill, and you then got shouted at if you got out of the saddle to start off again.

Wish we'd done roundabouts though, I loved cycling round roundabouts for some reason.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here's my really really dangerous badge. I honestly don't know how I've managed to live with it for the last 60 years!!
Prototype throwing star

OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

Our cycling proficiency instructor was fantastic. A proper touring cyclist who also ran a touring club for schoolkids. So after cycling proficiency I joined the club and got proper experience on the roads under his supervision. We'd either start from home or turn up at the railway station, about ten or twenty junior school age children and a couple of adults, pile our bikes into the guard's van and go off on a day trip. We also went for full weeks away staying in youth hostels. North Wales, Isle of Wight and even a full round tour of the Netherlands.

Happy days and a good foundation for road riding as well as for being away from home and a bit of independence. Dealt with crashes, mechanicals, bonking, traffic and city riding as well as country roads, all as a kid so it's not a big deal later on.

You had a fantastic instructor and the places where you toured are still relevant today. Indeed, one of my most memorable cycling adventures took me through the Dutch bulb fields and wrote the story in my blog www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com ( harbingers of a spring holiday April 2018 ) that I hope brings you happy memories

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I seem to remember having two metal badges on the handlebars of my Raleigh Wayfarer. The cycling proficiency one and a round one. I can't for the life of me remember what the round one was. Or maybe later proficiency badges were round? Mine would have been about '74

I also had an electric buzzer/horn thing. :becool:

Top Bottom