Cycling Proficiency Test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
For me it was a great course. I think I was 9 or 10, and I previously had very little road craft. It enabled me and my mate to ride our bikes everywhere all summer. The only thing we questioned was that the course leader insisted that if you could squeeze your tyre even a mm then your tyres were under-inflated! I think he had us put 45 psi in our MTB tyres!

Alex321

Veteran
I think it must have been more than 50 years ago. I am 74, and, remember doing my Cycling Proficiency Test at. School

Yeah, it had been around for a while when I did mine, which would have been mid-60's, I think I was about 7 or 8 when I did it.

mpemburn

This is amazing! Nothing of this sort exists in the U.S. except perhaps as a service of private organizations dedicated to cycling. That's us—let the private sector do it, or go hang!

Fat Lars

The Policeman was actually correct. View attachment 621667
Ah yeah but thats for cyclists who don't have a left arm.^_^

Alex321

Veteran
I give in. You win
It isn't about "winning". I genuinely don't understand what point you were trying to make.

The government information, as far as I can tell, is that picture you attached above. There is nothing wrong with that.

The policeman at the school was incorrect in saying that cyclists should be using the signal that is shown on the top row of that picture - it is the bottom row which applies to cyclists (and motorcyclists, and anybody else whose left arm can normally be seen when signalling).

So there is nothing wrong with the government information, just one example of a policeman who interpreted it incorrectly. And you similarly interpreting it incorrectly.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have the triangular badge. Lethal it is not.
The one with the pin or the handlebar mounted one? The little one with the pin was OK - I suppose you could always stab someone in the arse with it, but it was relatively benign. It was the handlebar mounted one that might potentially have caused numerous horrendous injuries and deaths, due to the fact that it was a bit sharp on the edges.

OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

This is amazing! Nothing of this sort exists in the U.S. except perhaps as a service of private organizations dedicated to cycling. That's us—let the private sector do it, or go hang!
These days a scheme called 'Bikeability' is the UK Governments safe cycling scheme that offers grants for schools to teach young school children. Before coronavirus restrictions a bike-ability course was an annual event at a school close to my home. Some of the children were being taught to ride who had not sat on a bike before.I guess that's a sign of the times. In my childhood cycling was the way to get around. These days the speed and volume of traffic make our local roads too dangerous for children to learn how to ride a bike. Fortunately larger towns have designated cycling paths and local councils are encouraged to adopt and implement an active transport policy that aims to keep people safe and healthy by designating and promoting walking and cycling. Looking back at my childhood the legacy of being taught how to cycle safely saved me from learning the hard and painful way from mistakes. All the best - Joe

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The one with the pin or the handlebar mounted one? The little one with the pin was OK - I suppose you could always stab someone in the arse with it, but it was relatively benign. It was the handlebar mounted one that might potentially have caused numerous horrendous injuries and deaths, due to the fact that it was a bit sharp on the edges.

One with the pin for putting on your school jumper

Top Bottom