Cycling related things that are not seen any more...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
or rarely seen! Some like mileometers and tyre driven speedos have been superseded by better things but are still available; others are transient creatures, e.g. indicators, enjoying a brief moment of fame and then disappearing for years.
Some that I remember -
Flint catchers
Multi coloured hub cleaners - similar to pipe cleaners
Race blades - very short mudguards
Wheel carriers - ride to your race/TT on road wheels then change them to race wheels that you carried
Bidons with a cork stopper and plastic straw - awful taste!
Walls (or similar company) ice cream flag used under the saddle as a tool/spares roll
Cylindrical battery packs for dynamo lighting
Thick oilskin capes and sou'westers
Metal head badges
Single coloured bikes with gold lining and discrete decals
Soft shell helmets, we used to call them 'hairnets'
Brake shoes and brake blocks
Split inner tubes with two sealed ends, could, in theory, replace the tube without removing the wheel
Cyclist's maps - 50 miles around (major cities)

Does any mow do a mobile mount/dismount?
The tourists dismount - cocking the leg over the handle bars not the saddle - stationary use only!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I used to have one of those "speedos" with a kind of sprocket that got moved around a notch every time a spoke hit it, thus increasing the number count on the attached speed. Simple but effective (and slightly noisy).Oh yes, and front headlights that ran on a pair of D size batteries :laugh:. Bloody things weighed a ton, and didn't put out much light, either.

D

Deleted member 23692

Multi coloured hub cleaners - similar to pipe cleaners
The neighbour's got these on her bike, and the hubs are sparkling clean.

Cotter pins
Handle bars gips with multi-coloured plastic tassels
Cow horn handlebars

tyred

Legendary Member
Still have a set of D cell Every Ready lamps as it happens. They're currently on a vintage Raleigh touring bike that I have been playing with in the past week. They were easy to fit as they matched the brackets on the bike and are adequate for being seen with in twilight on these long summer days.

Davidc

Guru
Race blades are still around as are brake shoes and blocks, which fit Weinman centre pulls on a bike I recently helped restore. The brake parts were a bit pricey though.

I had one of those battery packs, which made my dynamo legal in Germany on a tour many years ago. There was a relay in the pack, with a high resistance coil across the dynamo power, which switched to batteries when you stopped or slowed and the dynamo output dropped off. It did the same as a modern standlight capacitor, but would go on running the lights for hours if you didn't turn them off. I sold it at a bike fair in the 1990s. It was quite heavy, with 4 D size cells in it.

Add to the list:

Rod brakes
Butcher's (etc) bikes
People smoking pipes as they ride along at 5 mph

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
An uncle of mine had a narrow leather strap around each hub.

The buckle would tinkle against the spokes, but it worked a treat - the hubs were always gleaming.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Spokey Dokies!

Little rubber covers for the ends of down tube shifters.

Those pumps with red/white/blue plastic rings on.

Herr-B

. . . others are transient creatures, e.g. indicators, enjoying a brief moment of fame and then disappearing for years.
Guess what my mum bought me for xmas? Go on, guess.

I thought, hmmm, these will go lovely on my road bike, and will free my arms up to keep holding the bars!!!!

Oh no, I didn't really.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Wheel carriers - ride to your race/TT on road wheels then change them to race wheels that you carried

True these aren't seen often now, but I know of one local rider who rides to events in this way. I like the approach.

I just ride there on my race wheels (which aren't really, I could tour on them).

Top Bottom