Cycling related things that are not seen any more...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
Those red plastic discs on a stalk that stick out to fend off cars. I only know one person who still has one - he's a long-distance touring type, and has modified his so it hinges out from the end of a long stick attached across the rack on his bike.

I haven't seen one of those for a while but they were quite common....doubt if they were any use though?

D

Deleted member 1258

Gigantic yellow plastic capes with matching sou'westers and gloves.

I don't have the sou'westers and gloves but I do have a bright yellow cape, it lives in my work bag, along with other things that could be unknown to science.

This thread is taking all the oldies out of the woodwork:biggrin:, or are you all regular visitors to bicycle museums?

Having been a cyclist for over 40 years I remember most of whats on this thread. anyone remember the big square white plastic lights? I think they were called wonderlights and they ran off a door bell battery, the light output was such that a candle would have been a better option, I used to train on unlit country lanes with a set of these on the bike, its amazing that I didn't hit something

robjh

Legendary Member
anyone remember the big square white plastic lights? I think they were called wonderlights and they ran off a door bell battery, the light output was such that a candle would have been a better option, I used to train on unlit country lanes with a set of these on the bike, its amazing that I didn't hit something

I thought Wonderlights were the (relatively) slimline versions that appeared in the early 80s - they were white and plastic but much thinner than earlier stuff, and sat in a bracket that mounted on your handlebars or similar. They had a tendency to bounce out when you went over a road bump. They replaced the large box-shaped ones that you used to fit on the mount on your forks - or at least they did on my bike. Of course maybe they were all Wonderlights, and these were just the next generation of them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bicycle clips,
i always wondered why these were sold in pairs , ok one for your trousers on the drve side ,but surely you dont need one on the other side.
I once managed to get a left trouser leg hooked over the end of my bottle cage and almost crashed! :laugh:

robjh

Legendary Member
Or what about yellow reflective Sam Browne belts - the round-your-waist and over-your-shoulder contraptions? I wore them on both bike and motorbike for many years, but I haven't seen one on a cyclist for a long time now. Mind you, Tredz still sells them so someone must be buying.

Havoc6

Proper lights :laugh:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374888158.450568.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374888169.115365.jpg

Top Bottom