Cycling related things that are not seen any more...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Certainly is a Raleigh Burner, and indeed they are worth a few quid these days so they are :thumbsup:

I was never allowed a BMX as a kid, but I used to bum rides off of my mates whenever I could.

The only thing that was 'Wonder'ous about those God forsaken Wonder lights was that they sold in the numbers they did. I lost count of how many plastic wingnuts I broke through constant re-tightening of the crappy brackets!

I used to find I got about two winters out of a Wonder light bracket then the thing would shatter when I put the light in.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Despite it only being 70 miles or so down the road I've only been once and I cant remember much :blush:

70? You need a better map....

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Certainly is a Raleigh Burner, and indeed they are worth a few quid these days so they are :thumbsup:

I was never allowed a BMX as a kid, but I used to bum rides off of my mates whenever I could.

The only thing that was 'Wonder'ous about those God forsaken Wonder lights was that they sold in the numbers they did. I lost count of how many plastic wingnuts I broke through constant re-tightening of the crappy brackets!

The brackets were truly awful.
How on earth can it have been that the technology of bike lights remained so archaic for so very very long. In the 80s and even into the 90s there were mostly these things which hadn't really changed in their basic design since the end of world war two. Just what the hell was going on? It makes no sense.

The tyres were (and still are) Greentyres

.. and the video is misleading they took far more effort than that, and you could actually buckle a rim tryingto fit.

I put them on a bike belonging to my MiL as she hated punctures, but they were awful, no suspension effect, very little grip on anything but the best surfaces and lethal in the wet

They are however brilliant for wheelchairs and other equipment where a puncture is a massive issue, and performance isn't[/media]

Or what about yellow reflective Sam Browne belts - the round-your-waist and over-your-shoulder contraptions? I wore them on both bike and motorbike for many years, but I haven't seen one on a cyclist for a long time now. Mind you, Tredz still sells them so someone must be buying.
I've got one. Last used in a Scottish summer.

the skirt guard is still popular in Holland & Denmark where ladies will more than happily cycle to work in a skirt & heels

Copenhagen Cycle Chic a commentary on cycle fashion

... or an extreme!
cleats-on-boots-500x331.jpg

boots-standing.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
referring to Sam Browne belts :
I've got one. Last used in a Scottish summer.

I never actually got rid of mine. It still lurks in robjh's box of cycling junk memories in the darkest recesses of the shed.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The yellow horn and microphone things that played almost police sirens and spacey noises.

A pal of mine nearly chopped his fingers off and took quite a nasty fall when the mic bounced out of its clip and he stuck his hand in his spokes trying to catch it as it dangled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Those concrete bricks with a bicycle tyre shaped slot that was usually filled with leaves and dog poo and offered no way of locking up your bike, if you were luck, after parking in one you'd still have a bike and the front wheel would still be straight and true.

Chris Norton

I've seen a few on display outside shops but I can't recall I've seen any moving; the closest I've seen/heard :ohmy: is the local shop delivery person on a squeaky mtb, balancing a massive tray on their bars.

Still available for purchase. Guess who?

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/delibike.html

We have one for display purposes but is used when one of the owners son's wants to go down the gym.

Top Bottom