Cycling related things that are not seen any more...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
bicycle clips,
i always wondered why these were sold in pairs , ok one for your trousers on the drve side ,but surely you dont need one on the other side.

A couple of quid in decathlon & you can have them white or yellow, I have a couple of pairs, generally for when I'm riding in office wear and don't want to get my suit trousers too creasey by being tucked into my socks. One for each side helps with not catching flappy material on an empty bottle rack.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Or what about yellow reflective Sam Browne belts - the round-your-waist and over-your-shoulder contraptions? I wore them on both bike and motorbike for many years, but I haven't seen one on a cyclist for a long time now. Mind you, Tredz still sells them so someone must be buying.

Sam Browne's are available in the 'H' place so probably why most haven't seen them recently :thumbsup: . It is an essential piece of my kit as; along with pedal reflectors; it screams cyclist to other road users in a way the ubiquitous builders/delivery man hi-viz vest doesn't.

It is also small & easily stowable off the bike allowing me to dress like a normal person, ride suited and booted etc without carrying unnecessary tat about with me.

D

Deleted member 1258

I thought Wonderlights were the (relatively) slimline versions that appeared in the early 80s - they were white and plastic but much thinner than earlier stuff, and sat in a bracket that mounted on your handlebars or similar. They had a tendency to bounce out when you went over a road bump. They replaced the large box-shaped ones that you used to fit on the mount on your forks - or at least they did on my bike. Of course maybe they were all Wonderlights, and these were just the next generation of them.

Thats them, as seen on this Grifter
http://raleighgrifter.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=genchat&action=display&thread=1516
the brackets tended to go brittle and shatter.

D

Deleted member 1258

531 frames. I have three but in my part of the world nearly everyone else has alloy or carbon.

I had several 531 framed bikes

dawes 2.jpeg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Or what about yellow reflective Sam Browne belts - the round-your-waist and over-your-shoulder contraptions? I wore them on both bike and motorbike for many years, but I haven't seen one on a cyclist for a long time now. Mind you, Tredz still sells them so someone must be buying.
I bought one in black and white last year with matching arm bands. Just the thing for a commute in darkness. And round here, a thing you hardly ever see, is people commuting on bikes in the dark.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I thought Wonderlights were the (relatively) slimline versions that appeared in the early 80s - they were white and plastic but much thinner than earlier stuff, and sat in a bracket that mounted on your handlebars or similar. They had a tendency to bounce out when you went over a road bump. They replaced the large box-shaped ones that you used to fit on the mount on your forks - or at least they did on my bike. Of course maybe they were all Wonderlights, and these were just the next generation of them.

I'd forgotten about the brackets - used to annoy me when they went rusty.

D

Deleted member 23692

..... along with front fork leg bosses for the lamp brackets....... and the awesome Ever Ready 800 battery :smile:

D

Deleted member 23692

Can't remember what they were called but... those hard sponge airless no puncture tyres.

Then my contributiion....

The "Eco-Bulb"

IN the early days this company brought out a replacement bulb for rear lights which had 3 LEDS

Simply replace your original bulb and extend battery life

4357.jpg

Saluki

World class procrastinator
or rarely seen! Some like mileometers and tyre driven speedos have been superseded by better things but are still available; others are transient creatures, e.g. indicators, enjoying a brief moment of fame and then disappearing for years.
Some that I remember -

Multi coloured hub cleaners - similar to pipe cleaners

I have some 'similar to pipe cleaners' cleaning things but for my cassette, bike floss. I got them from here. They are excellent. Harry is a lovely chap too.

Top Bottom