Cycling seems to have become very "upper crust"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In connection with your comment above, smokin jo, and your name, i used to lead lots of rides. I remember expressing surprise to a young female cyclist that she smoked. She looked at me as if I was spectacularly dim and said: " i don't cycle because it's healthy, I cycle because it's cool"

Julia9054

Guru
I don't think golf is posh like it used to be. Many clubs have dropped the whole membership thing and it's now pay to play and coaching to encourage young people. Golf clubs would die off otherwise. Golf is quite popular amongst teenagers these days - they are the future of the sport.
I have several friends who enjoy playing golf - all brass banders and none would be described as posh!

One of the things that
I'd suggest that most of the new breed are into it because it is fashionable and will be gone when it no longer is. The demographic making up the "New golfer" side of cycling is exactly the same as that which fueled the motorcycle boom from the mid nineties and lasted for a decade before dying on it's arse. Thirty to sixty age group, affluent with high disposable incomes, a liking for the best performance bikes and matching kit, mostly without very much technical knowledge outside of what they read in the magazines.

You will know that a boom in cycling is genuine when you see far more people buying the sort of practical bikes club cyclists back in the day rode when they were not racing or training, ie mudguards, non race geometry and something other than a glorified fag packet strapped under the saddle for carrying capacity. To be a lifelong cyclist you need to enjoy riding a bike for the sheer pleasure of it, not just till the novelty of setting strava times wears off and you have run out of new kit to buy, or those you want to impress no longer do it.
One of the things that hacks me off most about the new breed is their reluctance to recognise and respect their elders and betters. They a buy a bike and fancy kit and within a few rides are pontificating on how the sport should change. They join a club and within weeks of joining are trying to change it. They join chat rooms and are immediately quoting 'rules' that they've read in a silly book or magazine that they think the rest of us should be following. Why can't they just keep quiet, learn the ropes from the rest of us, and only when they've stood the test of time, say 20 years, should they consider themselves qualified to start platforming their views on us.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
One of the things that

One of the things that hacks me off most about the new breed is their reluctance to recognise and respect their elders and betters. They a buy a bike and fancy kit and within a few rides are pontificating on how the sport should change. They join a club and within weeks of joining are trying to change it. They join chat rooms and are immediately quoting 'rules' that they've read in a silly book or magazine that they think the rest of us should be following. Why can't they just keep quiet, learn the ropes from the rest of us, and only when they've stood the test of time, say 20 years, should they consider themselves qualified to start platforming their views on us.
57062980.jpg

Oxo

Guru
Why can't they just keep quiet, learn the ropes from the rest of us,
Are you advocating that people should forget about getting into cycling and take up climbing or sailing instead.

screenman

Legendary Member
One of the things that

And you started when?^_^ Things have not changed since solid tyres were the norm.

I bought into this sport 35 years ago. I've lived and breathed it all this time. I quietly learned the ropes from my elders and betters in my first clubs. I still regard them as my elders and betters. The opinions of newcomers carry no weight. Chances are they will have moved on to something else in a few years.

Oxo

Guru
I bought into this sport 35 years ago. I've lived and breathed it all this time. I quietly learned the ropes from my elders and betters in my first clubs. I still regard them as my elders and betters. The opinions of newcomers carry no weight. Chances are they will have moved on to something else in a few years.
With an attitude like that chances are they will have moved on to another club where they are made to feel welcome.

bpsmith

Veteran
Some of the above comments are bonkers.

What I can't get my head around is why people have such ridiculous opinions on someone spending lots of money on a bike. I also can't quite work out the demographic of those that have such views.

Personally, I will likely never afford a £10k bike. Do I feel anything negative towards those that can? Clearly not. On that basis alone, my assumption can only be that the people with such views must be those that could afford to buy such a bike, but have chosen to use the cash in something else. Only to then be jealous of those who decided to buy said bike.

You can't have it all!

Another irony that I have noticed is that those, that pull a face at spending £10k on a bike, already have multiple bikes totalling more than that amount, and more, already...

Top Bottom