Cycling seems to have become very "upper crust"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
I ... have recently upgraded my bike to a nice carbon bike (albeit second hand)

Why is it wrong to buy a new carbon bike if you can afford it? If you got a good deal on a second hand one then that's great, but there's nothing wrong with people spending on buying a new one, and no need for you to be apologetic for having one however you acquired it

All this inverted snobbery (not your post, but the general posts on here) does my head in, it's like me stating anyone with a steel bike isnt a real cyclist because they probably can't go as fast as they could on a lighter carbon TT bike so they obviously aren't serious cyclists. It's all b****cks

Lee_M

Guru
How do you tell if someone is looking down their nose at you?

's easy. Just see someone with a bike that you can't afford, and use your imagination.

That's a huge assumption right there, quite frankly. No prizes for where the "nobber" comment, mentioned above, was aimed towards.

I assumed that was ironic and he didnt actually mean that

hoopdriver

Guru
I didn't mean what?

This has all got a bit heated and frankly rather baffling. I may have meant exactly "that". I may or may not have made a "huge assumption".

I won't go into detail of what I actually did mean, because "Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it."

(Edit. I've just read back a few posts. I may have partially figured this out. @bpsmith : re-read my post, and concentrate on the word "imagination")
Hopefully the frog was already dead...

It's good advice.

I was originally given it by a priest on the dynamo.

Received in the spirit in which it was meant even though i am a total atheist.

Have since given the same advice to 2 or 3 folk in london.

Never had a bad response.

GuyBoden

Guru
Posh people need to unite and fight against discrimination.

https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-your-rights

You’re legally protected from discrimination by the Equality Act 2010.

Discrimination: your rights

1. Types of discrimination ('protected characteristics')
It is against the law to discriminate against anyone because of:

• being married or in a civil partnership
  • being pregnant or on maternity leave
  • disability
  • race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
  • religion, belief or lack of religion/belief
  • sex
  • sexual orientation
  • Having a carbon Bicycle and expensive cycling gear.

Venod

Eh up
[QUOTE 4901927, member: 259"]I hate it when people's saddles are too high. The hip rocking fills me with righteous indignation. And don't get me started on that Elvis Presley![/QUOTE]

Yes I hate that as well (I'm becoming a very hateful person)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Honestly, some of you are unreal!
What sport and sport: utilitarian is the future of cycling.
Commuting, shop and school runs, cycling to a party or to the pub.
Any bike will do as long as it has mudguards, sturdy tyres and some lights.
The only ones left behind will be the ones stuck in their cars in a traffic jam.
Everybody welcome, age, waist size no object.
Spend the money you saved on bus fares in a new, shiny, pair of Ortlieb panniers :laugh:

[QUOTE 4899977, member: 9609"]some were having a good laugh at my seat and handlebars[/QUOTE]
Yeah, well, you must admit the state of your saddle is atrocious :smile:

Lee_M

Guru
I too have just read the posts back. You were right too, @Lee_M. Far too clever for me, it appears. I must have extremely little sense, being as though I am skint, but still have more money than sense.

I take it back. Apologies. :smile:

Glad that's all sorted.

Now can we all accept anyone can ride what the heck they like, spend whatever money they want on a bike and gear, and we're all better than nobbers who try to knock us off because we held them up for 5 seconds?

Cool

bpsmith

Veteran
:laugh:
Glad that's all sorted.

Now can we all accept anyone can ride what the heck they like, spend whatever money they want on a bike and gear, and we're all better than nobbers who try to knock us off because we held them up for 5 seconds?

Cool
That was always my stance too. The comment was using someone else's word, from above, because I thought they were commenting the opposite.

Anyway, I echo what @Lee_M just put. Let's all enjoy cycling. No need for elitism of any kind, as long as you understand that I am better than you. :laugh:

Lee_M

Guru
:laugh:
That was always my stance too. The comment was using someone else's word, from above, because I thought they were commenting the opposite.

Anyway, I echo what @Lee_M just put. Let's all enjoy cycling. No need for elitism of any kind, as long as you understand that I am better than you. :laugh:

I am offended. This is the sort of attitude that is spoiling cycling for everyone, as I'm obviously better than you :-)

Top Bottom