Cycling shoes advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

Hi all.
I have a hybrid bike that I have bought in May and done a lot of miles on it already. At the moment I am cycling in trainers but I am thinking about getting a pair of cycling shoes.
This will be my first pair so don't want to pay a fortune for them.
Can anyone recommend a pair? I do not have quick release pedals so want kind does everyone recommend.
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Have a look here
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/clipless-pedals-faq.74358/

SPD with recessed cleats better if going to walk around off bike, lots of stop start or off road. You’ll need shoes, and pedals (and cleats, normally come with new pedals)

nothing wrong with cycling in trainers as long as they have a thicker stiffish sole (trail running or walking shoes might better than a light weight running shoe). Then you don’t need to change pedals.

how many miles are you typically riding and where?

OP
OP
M

markstev27

Have a look here
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/clipless-pedals-faq.74358/

SPD with recessed cleats better if going to walk around off bike, lots of stop start or off road. You’ll need shoes, and pedals (and cleats, normally come with new pedals)

nothing wrong with cycling in trainers as long as they have a thicker stiffish sole (trail running or walking shoes might better than a light weight running shoe). Then you don’t need to change pedals.

how many miles are you typically riding and where?
Normally ride around 30-35 miles on roads

It does depend on whether or not you want to want something that you can clip into in the future or if you are happy using flat pedals

Personally I am sticking with flat pedals but have upgraded them to ones with better knobbly bits - hence the scars on the back of my legs!!!!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've got some Specialized shoes that had an oval plate on the bottom that needed to be cut out with a craft knife to expose the cleat fittings

1629381614280.png

Just don't cut that out and you have perfect 'stiff soled' shoes for flat pedals

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I found that non-cycling shoes could wear out quickly from lots of riding. The soles cracked.
Plus it keeps your better shoes away from oily chain, muddy/wet commutes, etc.

Although when my job has me visiting customer construction sites, I frequently just wear site boots on the bike. They're a bit weird on M520 SPD pedals, but it's usually a maximum of 3 miles for each leg of the journey.

Not sure there's a strong reason for cleats. Not for me anway.
They do stop feet slipping off wet pedals, and they ensure a good foot position on pedals - which is probably good for comfort/fatigue reasons on long rides.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got some Specialized shoes that had an oval plate on the bottom that needed to be cut out with a craft knife to expose the cleat fittings

View attachment 605010

Just don't cut that out and you have perfect 'stiff soled' shoes for flat pedals
I tried to use Sonomas like that (a slightly later model) on flat pedals, I found them incredibly slippery and I was always having to try to grip with my toes, and ended up with cramp! They may work ok with straps I guess, but I soon put cleats on them (good shoes otherwise)

Don't buy online, unless you've been able to try on the same pair elsewhere - I've found that I have to go up one or two sizes in cycling shoes from my normal shoes.

But I'd always suggest suing your local shop for that kind of thing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't buy online, unless you've been able to try on the same pair elsewhere - I've found that I have to go up one or two sizes in cycling shoes from my normal shoes.

But I'd always suggest suing your local shop for that kind of thing.
don't sue them unless they do something dodgy :whistle:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I tried to use Sonomas like that (a slightly later model) on flat pedals, I found them incredibly slippery and I was always having to try to grip with my toes, and ended up with cramp! They may work ok with straps I guess, but I soon put cleats on them (good shoes otherwise)
I use mine with SPD cleats

The reason I suggested them is they're always convertible to cleats at any point

Top Bottom