Cycling style inherited from previous sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
This thread is inspired by something I have just posted on the ebike petition thread. Have you found that the strength and conditioning you did for a previous sport has affected the type of cyclist you are ?

For the good part of 30 years my regular sport was rugby, more specifically playing as a winger. As a result I developed the ability to accelerate very quickly over a short distance.
Having taken up cycling a few years ago I have found my average speed to be between 15 and 16 mph and in group / mass rides I am very much a plodder at the back. The only exception is when I am commuting in London, where I can fair fly along the short sections between traffic lights as I am able to put down a lot of power for a short distance and am usually in the top 3 in the day on Strava. I have come to the conclusion that I am pretty much stuck with this and will continue to be a Jekyll and Hyde cyclist !

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
I did martial arts for years, and like you said I trained for 2-3 rounds of a fight with each round being 2mins so I have a decent burst of speed, but I tend to plod along in general on longer rides my avg is 15-16mph

I'm debating doing a charity ride this weekend coming it's 20, 40 or 68 and the 68 mile is tempting me, it will be interesting to see if I can maintain that avg if I take part.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
I am very similar in that I was a sprinter 11.1 for 100 meters and played football regularly until I was 33, but was always a cyclist in between. I tend to spin rather than grind a heavy gear. At the end of a club run if I can last until the last sprint I would be in contention. I am no expert but I think it's difficult to retrain those fast twitch muscles you have.
As a result I developed the ability to accelerate very quickly over a short distance.
Someone said "Sprinters are born not made" not sure who said it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I mountain biked for 21 years before going over to the cleaner, more subtle pleasures and greater fitness of the road. I find that I'm still the fastest of my buddies down hill and the most able to cope when the road turns to track and off road skills are needed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I mountain biked for 21 years before going over to the cleaner, more subtle pleasures and greater fitness of the road. I find that I'm still the fastest of my buddies down hill and the most able to cope when the road turns to track and off road skills are needed.
Usually... :whistle:

BTW - How is the recovery going? We have a forum ride setting off from Clitheroe on June 22nd which you'd be welcome to join us for. (The whole thing would be too much, but you could turn back as soon as you'd had enough?)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I come from endurance sports, ultra marathon distances back in the 80/90's; I have good endurance, not fast, but can keep going indefinitely. My map reading from mountaineering also translates to good navigational skills when out and about. I also used to mountain bike and like Colin makes a difference when road deteriorate or a short cut off road is called for on the road bike.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Usually... :whistle:

BTW - How is the recovery going? We have a forum ride setting off from Clitheroe on June 22nd which you'd be welcome to join us for. (The whole thing would be too much, but you could turn back as soon as you'd had enough?)

Did a 29 miler on Sunday with my stem back in its almost horizontal position and the shoulder muscles were complaining a bit afterwards at the position. But short of going to a boring gym I don't know a better way of rebuilding the required shoulder strength. I'm interested in the Saturday ride, will see how I feel and what other commitments.

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
I am no expert but I think it's difficult to retrain those fast twitch muscles you have.
I would certainly agree, I have most definitely lost a lot of the sprinting pace I used to have, although in my 50 something Vets team I am considered to be something of a speedster !
The fast twitch muscles are certainly still there though, they are just not a lot of use when trying to get up a long consistent climb.

I’m pretty much exactly the opposite. My sports used to be rugby ( tight head ) Karate, and squash. On the bike, I prefer long period exertions like hills and TTs, and chewing along at steady states for long periods, not sprints.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I like endurance rides, My stamina is still pretty good, But the only sports i have ever done are Kart racing and Sail boat racing, So i don't know where my stamina comes from. Probably from working.^_^

Top Bottom