Cycling tan season arrives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Although it was a little chilly setting off yesterday morning I decided to go for a short-sleeved top to absorb a few extra rays. Unfortunately my Northern European complexion did its thing so this morning I’m a little sore.

Take care and think about a bit of sun screen if you burn easily, even if it’s not that warm.

D91DE47F-E424-458B-94BA-1AF627D8CB54.jpeg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That's horrible, put it away!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Take care and think about a bit of sun screen if you burn easily, even if it’s not that warm.

This ^^^^ apart from the "if you burn easily" bit. Do it even if you DON'T burn easily. I had a VERY lucky escape last year while undergoing allergy "patch tests" on my back, the dermatologist spotted a dodgy looking mole. Long story short, it was removed within a week, and found to be a cancerous melanoma. A second operation was done to remove the surrounding skin, and luckily that was all clear. Had it not been, it could have been very bad news.

As a result, I will be the guy on the bike NOT wearing shorts unless unbearably hot - which is hardly likely in the west of Scotland! And the exposed parts will be treated with factor 50 prior to exposure. This was the advice of my dermatologist, who told me that anything less than factor 50 is a waste of time. Sorry to put a dampener on the risks of cycling in the nice sunny weather; just be careful.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I can't wait for winter.

Isn’t it the monsoon period at the moment?

Julia9054

Guru
This ^^^^ apart from the "if you burn easily" bit. Do it even if you DON'T burn easily. I had a VERY lucky escape last year while undergoing allergy "patch tests" on my back, the dermatologist spotted a dodgy looking mole. Long story short, it was removed within a week, and found to be a cancerous melanoma. A second operation was done to remove the surrounding skin, and luckily that was all clear. Had it not been, it could have been very bad news.

As a result, I will be the guy on the bike NOT wearing shorts unless unbearably hot - which is hardly likely in the west of Scotland! And the exposed parts will be treated with factor 50 prior to exposure. This was the advice of my dermatologist, who told me that anything less than factor 50 is a waste of time. Sorry to put a dampener on the risks of cycling in the nice sunny weather; just be careful.

I agree totally with this. And have a 3cm scar down my left cheek. I now wear factor 50 all year round and wish I’d known to do this 20 years ago

Alex321

Veteran
I agree totally with this. And have a 3cm scar down my left cheek. I now wear factor 50 all year round and wish I’d known to do this 20 years ago

Factor 50 wasn't generally available 20 years ago.
I remember when I first started going on foreign holidays (to Greece), which was about 40 years ago, the highest you could get from regular shops was factor 16,. We would start the fortnight with that, but by the 2nd week, we were on factor 8, or even sometimes down to 4.

That I creased over the years but even by 20 years ago, factor 25 was usually the highest in the regular ranges, with a few doing a 30.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
After 5 skin cancers removed from my arms below the elbows, I'm DONE with short sleeves. I always wear a full sunblock shirt (Vapor Apparel is the brand I get off Amazon) @ $18 US each, or you can buy them direct as well. Wicks moisture, no hotter than a T-shirt really. Better safe than tanned or sorry. UPF 50+. :blush:

Top Bottom