Cycling things that you wish were still available

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
oooh, and these as you could bung a felt tip body in the end and shoot things out :laugh:
View attachment 673839
Me too.
I still have and use those. You can get them in Decathlon I think.
I used the one that came with my Carlton for about 40 years, until the pushrod came through the handle and started poking a hole in the palm of my hand. I bodged it with a washer taped over the end and carried on using it for a while, but it was a nuisance not being able to stow that hose in the end or use the pump pegs. I then switched to a Zefal plastic version for a while, but the end of that one melted when I pumped the tyre up a bit too quickly one day. Eventually it was the crappy quality of today's hoses that burst after you've used them half a dozen times that got to me, and I settled for a Topeak Turbo Morph instead.

I wish you could still get quality pumps & hoses like that, because the alternatives are rubbish.
When my last Winter Cruisers completely wore out I though "now is the time to try those Ronhill Bikesters I've read about". And the buggers had withdrawn those too!
They've raised the back of the waistline on the tracksters, so they amount to the same thing now.
I quite like a fork mount for front lights, and for it to be universal. Not a different design for every make of light out there.
I used to have my front lamp on the fork leg for a few years, but I moved it after I was knocked off by a car pulling out of a side road in front of me, having considered the possibility that the front wheel might have partially obscured the drivers view of my lamp.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Blimey how long were your school days?

They felt endless!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Me too.

I used the one that came with my Carlton for about 40 years, until the pushrod came through the handle and started poking a hole in the palm of my hand. I bodged it with a washer taped over the end and carried on using it for a while, but it was a nuisance not being able to stow that hose in the end or use the pump pegs. I then switched to a Zefal plastic version for a while, but the end of that one melted when I pumped the tyre up a bit too quickly one day. Eventually it was the crappy quality of today's hoses that burst after you've used them half a dozen times that got to me, and I settled for a Topeak Turbo Morph instead.

I wish you could still get quality pumps & hoses like that, because the alternatives are rubbish.

They've raised the back of the waistline on the tracksters, so they amount to the same thing now.

I used to have my front lamp on the fork leg for a few years, but I moved it after I was knocked off by a car pulling out of a side road in front of me, having considered the possibility that the front wheel might have partially obscured the drivers view of my lamp.

Nah the clump just won’t have been looking 👀

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Friction downtube shifters. I don't know if it's the Suntour 9 speed levers, the rear mech, the cassette, the dropout, or a combination of the whole lot, but I cannot get the gears on my tourer indexing properly...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Chains and tyres that lasted forever.
... because you never rode your bike! :laugh:

I was thinking back to cycling as a child. My dad was always away at work, so as far as I can remember he never did any bike maintenance for me, but I don't really remember doing it myself either, and I DID ride my bikes. I probably did learn what to do and did it, but it is nearly 60 years ago now and those details are lost!

Still, the Tracksters are OK. So I expect they will get withdrawn soon, too.
I bought a pair a few months ago. I was thinking that I might buy another couple of pairs before they go up in price, or they stop making them.

I didn't notice. I'll check next time that I wear them.

Jameshow

Veteran
I've got two of them.

No pizza cutters in my garage or di2 for that matter!!

Rubbish - best saddles out there.

Bless you, but they are crapp. Really badly made.

The clamps on the massive suspension ones are rubbish. I had a B66 for a while. Comfy enough, but you couldn't fasten it on top of the seatpin because you couldn't tighten the bracket up. Yes you can buy spares, but that's an expensive saddle and it's not much to expect to not have to buy aftermarket parts.

Also, I remember owning one a few years ago which used to turn my trousers black when it rained.

Cheap in everything but price.

Sharky

Guru
My first pair of cycling specific leg ware were Lutz 3/4 bottoms. Lasted for years and years. Sadly no longer available, but googling, the "Tudor" range looks very similar, so might put a few suggestions out for my birthday next month.

Jameshow

Veteran
Bless you, but they are crapp. Really badly made.

The clamps on the massive suspension ones are rubbish. I had a B66 for a while. Comfy enough, but you couldn't fasten it on top of the seatpin because you couldn't tighten the bracket up. Yes you can buy spares, but that's an expensive saddle and it's not much to expect to not have to buy aftermarket parts.

Also, I remember owning one a few years ago which used to turn my trousers black when it rained.

Cheap in everything but price.

What clap were you using a standard 1 bolt seatpost will easily clamp it?

As for tanning leaching out I guess that's possible?

Top Bottom