Cycling to driving ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I must have an excellent cycle to driving ratio because I returned home from a trip to shops earlier and as I pulled on to my drive I panicked as my car was missing........

Then I realised I was driving it. (I know I should have gone on my bike but I couldn't fit the shopping in my rucksack)

Brandane

Legendary Member
That's just getting old. I live about 5 minutes walk from our town centre shops, so don't normally take the car. I once had some business to attend to out of town, so took the car. I then stopped in town on the way home to get one or two things. Imagine my surprise when I got back home and found that my car wasn't there :ohmy:. Dozy twonk had left it in town and walked home! Sheer force of habit.....

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
on average our car gets used on a wednesday afternoon and early evening and again thursday am , and what ever we do at weekends .

i try and bike to and from workevery day and any short local runs are either walked or ridden

D

Deleted member 1258

The car tends to only get used at weekends when I've got the MRS or other family members with me, in bad weather or when the trip cant be done on the bike. Buying the car has had a very small impact on miles cycled.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm not exactly counting, but I reckon this year miles ridden and miles driven will be around the same. Considering the amount of miles I've driven in the past that is quite remarkable.

Alun

Guru
I must have an excellent cycle to driving ratio because I returned home from a trip to shops earlier and as I pulled on to my drive I panicked as my car was missing........

Then I realised I was driving it. (I know I should have gone on my bike but I couldn't fit the shopping in my rucksack)
It's a good job your car was missing, otherwise you would have crashed into it !

billy1561

BB wrecker
I went to the works bike shed for my bike earlier only to my horror saw my bike was missing. The best of it was i was in my jeans and winter coat ready for the commute home the same way i got in (car) Getting old is no fun :tongue:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
For 2012

Car: about 100 miles
Bus: 0 miles
Ship: about 800 miles
Tube: about 10 miles
Train: about 900 miles
Cable car: about 1 mile.
Bike: about 3600 miles. And way, way, way under target.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The 2011 figures are way better than this year so I'll cheat by giving last year's numbers.

Van: 762 miles (annual MOT to annual MOT)
Bike: 4320 miles (Strada bike computer)

The bike numbers came mainly from a modest 11 mile daily commute.

My driving mileage will be a wee bit higher this year, I've been Dunfermline to Chelmsford and back a few times (about 3x800miles), Dunfermline to Peterborough and then Peterborough to Dunfermline and back (circa 3x325miles) and a wedding near Leeds (circa 270miles) and I guess around 10-15miles locally about 3700 miles in the car altogether. So my cycling to car ratio is only around, 2.8 bike miles to a car mile. I'm guessing it was more than 20:1 last year.

Top Bottom