1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling to football

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by pjd57, 17 Jul 2017.

1. pjd57

pjd57 Senior Member

I have started taking my bike to Celtic Park for matches.
    It's quicker, cheaper and easier.
    No parking problems either.
    There is a cycle rack next to the club store and plenty more across the road at the velodrome.
    The club/ stewards have no issues around taking a bag in with your helmet etc.
    Only minus is not being allowed in with water bottles , but all in ,it's been a positive experience.
    Are other clubs as welcoming ?

HLaB, 400bhp, Starchivore and 3 others like this.
  2. pawl

pawl Veteran

Back in the day when Leicester City played atFilbert Street there was rows of houses close by.Several of the houses put cardboard signs offering cycle parking for 2 shillings

3. DP

DP Chasse patate

I see quite a few peeps ride to Feyenoord matches.

Dirtyhanz likes this.
  4. rugby bloke

rugby bloke Über Member

I've cycled with my lads to games at Northampton Saints - there are places you can leave bikes near to the ticket office. No problem with taking any associated kit into the ground.

pjd57 likes this.
  5. rrarider

rrarider Well-Known Member

I'll bet that I was the only person to cycle to the 1985 cup final at Wembley. (I did live in NW London at the time.)

rugby bloke and pjd57 like this.
  6. There are cyclists who watch football???? Goodness me. You'll be telling me there's cyclists with tattoos soon....

NorthernDave, Dommo, Dec66 and 4 others like this.
  7. Simontm

Simontm Über Member

Like @rugby bloke I cycle to Rugby on occasion -usually Friday night games if on my own. Harlequins has quite a few bike stands by the gates and others chain up at the flats' railings - all inside Quins' grounds.
    No issue with bags or kit or even water bottles.

pjd57 likes this.
  8. JoshM

JoshM Guest

Last time I was at the rugby supporters werent segregated and you could buy a (very expensive) pint in the stadium. Neither of which you can do at a football game. I suspect that's the case for a reason, and security will therefore differ in response to the received risk hence the reactions to water bottles.

9. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

I went to a rugby match in Cardiff - where the coaching staff were throwing bottles at the spectators

10. Simontm

Simontm Über Member

That's the Blues for you ;)

11. Flick of the Elbow

Flick of the Elbow Wage Slave

Does the bike have to be the right colour ?

Slick likes this.
  12. subaqua

subaqua Guru

Nah was ospreys throwing at blues . And blues couldn't catch . Mainly cos ospreys can't throw straight .....

I don't cycle to the football . Leyton Orient ground is a pleasant 20 min walk . Or a horrific 5 mins on the bike. But that's LBWF for you away from Walthamstow village .

13. furbo

furbo Regular

Man City , best way to get away avoiding huge queue for the tram. Cycling through the departing masses is like a computer game.

CanucksTraveller and pjd57 like this.
  14. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

I work at event venues and cycle to all my jobs :smile:
    Tip: there's hidden cycle parking at Hampden, it's on the right if you face the main doors, behind a big pillar, across the fire exit.

Mrs M and Slick like this.
  15. Clanghead

Clanghead Active Member

A London-based friend (and Fulham fan) and I used Santander (ex-B*r*s) bikes in London to cycle to Fulham for their last home match of the season - excellent fun, except when trying to push the bikes against the tide of human traffic to reach the docking station. Picked up another pair of bikes afterwards to cycle to the pub for a post-match pint or two.

CanucksTraveller and pjd57 like this.