Cycling to football

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
I have started taking my bike to Celtic Park for matches.
It's quicker, cheaper and easier.
No parking problems either.
There is a cycle rack next to the club store and plenty more across the road at the velodrome.
The club/ stewards have no issues around taking a bag in with your helmet etc.
Only minus is not being allowed in with water bottles , but all in ,it's been a positive experience.
Are other clubs as welcoming ?

pawl

Legendary Member
Back in the day when Leicester City played atFilbert Street there was rows of houses close by.Several of the houses put cardboard signs offering cycle parking for 2 shillings

Simontm

Veteran
Like @rugby bloke I cycle to Rugby on occasion -usually Friday night games if on my own. Harlequins has quite a few bike stands by the gates and others chain up at the flats' railings - all inside Quins' grounds.
No issue with bags or kit or even water bottles.

JoshM

Like @rugby bloke I cycle to Rugby on occasion -usually Friday night games if on my own. Harlequins has quite a few bike stands by the gates and others chain up at the flats' railings - all inside Quins' grounds.
No issue with bags or kit or even water bottles.

Last time I was at the rugby supporters werent segregated and you could buy a (very expensive) pint in the stadium. Neither of which you can do at a football game. I suspect that's the case for a reason, and security will therefore differ in response to the received risk hence the reactions to water bottles.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I went to a rugby match in Cardiff - where the coaching staff were throwing bottles at the spectators

I have started taking my bike to Celtic Park for matches.
It's quicker, cheaper and easier.
No parking problems either.
There is a cycle rack next to the club store and plenty more across the road at the velodrome.
The club/ stewards have no issues around taking a bag in with your helmet etc.
Only minus is not being allowed in with water bottles , but all in ,it's been a positive experience.
Are other clubs as welcoming ?
Does the bike have to be the right colour ?

subaqua

What’s the point
That's the Blues for you ;)
Nah was ospreys throwing at blues . And blues couldn't catch . Mainly cos ospreys can't throw straight .....

I don't cycle to the football . Leyton Orient ground is a pleasant 20 min walk . Or a horrific 5 mins on the bike. But that's LBWF for you away from Walthamstow village .

Clanghead

A London-based friend (and Fulham fan) and I used Santander (ex-B*r*s) bikes in London to cycle to Fulham for their last home match of the season - excellent fun, except when trying to push the bikes against the tide of human traffic to reach the docking station. Picked up another pair of bikes afterwards to cycle to the pub for a post-match pint or two.

Top Bottom