Cycling to football

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
Does the bike have to be the right colour ?
No. But the Celtic store at the stadium sells a nice range of green cycling tops.
Mind you there is a velodrome right across the road.

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
I work at event venues and cycle to all my jobs :smile:
Tip: there's hidden cycle parking at Hampden, it's on the right if you face the main doors, behind a big pillar, across the fire exit.
IMG_20170527_140906117.jpg

Even closer than the VIP car park.
I've used it a few times

wxbull

At my local club Hereford I can lock my bike in the staff and players car park which is guarded all game, when I go to Aston Villa there is a bike rack and if I get the right seat in the North Stand I can keep an eye on it whilst watching the game. I also watch a lot of lower league football, eg, Wellington FC where I just take the bike in with me....

Would be great to keep this thread going, I'm always looking at doing cycling football weekends, and all the better if you have secure parking at the grounds :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
Would be great to keep this thread going, I'm always looking at doing cycling football weekends, and all the better if you have secure parking at the grounds :smile:

It's interesting to know different clubs handle it.
It's good that some are making an effort. But as I point out to people if even half of 1% of a capacity crowd at a big stadium cycled it could be a problem finding space for 250 - 300 bikes.

Tomorrow if it's not too wet it's a nice easy ride down the Kelvin way to the Clyde, along the Riverside path then up the cycle lane past the velodrome. CL qualification awaits.

Normally I don't put off going out when it's wet , but sitting down soggy for two hours then cycling home doesn't appeal.

wxbull

Shrewsbury Town actively encourage people to cycle to their ground....I've just remembered this fact. Loads of cycling spaces, but how secure, I haven't found out yet! Always gone by train. Maybe one day I'll make it to a match in Scotland :smile: but it won't be a Rangers game! Either Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee appeal to me

Mr Celine

Discordian
I have started taking my bike to Celtic Park for matches.
It's quicker, cheaper and easier.
No parking problems either.
There is a cycle rack next to the club store and plenty more across the road at the velodrome.
The club/ stewards have no issues around taking a bag in with your helmet etc.
Only minus is not being allowed in with water bottles , but all in ,it's been a positive experience.
Are other clubs as welcoming ?

Me and my pals will watch your bike for a £1.

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
Me and my pals will watch your bike for a £1.

Watch yer motor ......has been a Parkhead tradition for many years.
I'm surprised that no young local entrepreneur hasnt moved in on the cyclists yet.
IMG_20170719_191330211.jpg

At the game tonight.
That's the Velodrome across the road.

Sixmile

Veteran
Watch yer motor ......has been a Parkhead tradition for many years.
I'm surprised that no young local entrepreneur hasnt moved in on the cyclists yet. View attachment 363108

At the game tonight.
That's the Velodrome across the road.

I was at the game on Wednesday night too, but in the away end!

I have cycled once to a game here but even with our new stadium at Windsor Park, they are no specific cycling facilities at the ground but Chain Reaction Cycles have their shop near one of the entrances and they have covered bike parking.

U

User169

Never mind spectators, how many players arrive by bicycle?

Manchester United's Duncan Edwards used to.

I know, jumpers for goalposts, marvellous, etc.

Arjen Robben used to ride to training when he was at Chelsea I think.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I would be okay to cycle to the game (although I haven't a clue where I would be able to leave my bike) but after the post match session in the pub, where I feel obliged to go round for round with the 7 or 8 of us who go together, it is hard enough walking, never mind cycling.

Top Bottom