Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I'm not knocking the likes of you carrying so much it's arguably necessary for that terrain. More the "drive to the corner shop for one newspaper" brigade. Its car park was full again today. I struggle to think how you could buy enough of its limited ranges not to be able to carry it walking even - maybe one of the cars has a disabled badge but no way did all twelve!

Who still buys newspapers! Only old fossils probably? They are supposed to be isolating themselves by definitely staying at home, strictly no contact with anyone.

hoopdriver

Guru
Who still buys newspapers! Only old fossils probably? They are supposed to be isolating themselves by definitely staying at home, strictly no contact with anyone.
Breathtaking assumptions, arrogance and, also, incorrect

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Why? I'm 65 and far from being an old fossil. I have a newspaper delivered Saturday and Sunday, during the week I read online. I've many friends who have a paper seven days a week. Reading and holding a paper is an enjoyable experience for some. As I and most of my friends are fortunate to be retired we have the time to enjoy life's simple pleasures.

Your post is inaccurate, rude and ignorant.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I fell across this BBC article which half way through states:

"Bicycle shops are on the list of retailers that are allowed to stay open during the shutdown."

This would seem to add weight to the argument for continuing to cycle.

I am very much in two minds as to whether to continue to ride, let's face it 70-80 miles is not what many consider a bike ride, or to stay at home. Confused and unsure would best describe my thoughts.

Is the question more about do we cycle for sport and pleasure and exercise is a by product? Or do we cycle for exercise? Personally I'm in the sport and leisure camp with exercise being an excellent benefit. If it's about sport and leisure we should probably stop. My wife's tennis courts have been, closed our roads have been left open. Our sport is probably unique in that it takes place on the public highway.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Sports Direct vows to keep shops open despite new curbs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52011915

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
I fell across this BBC article which half way through states:

"Bicycle shops are on the list of retailers that are allowed to stay open during the shutdown."

This would seem to add weight to the argument for continuing to cycle.

I am very much in two minds as to whether to continue to ride, let's face it 70-80 miles is not what many consider a bike ride, or to stay at home. Confused and unsure would best describe my thoughts.

Is the question more about do we cycle for sport and pleasure and exercise is a by product? Or do we cycle for exercise? Personally I'm in the sport and leisure camp with exercise being an excellent benefit. If it's about sport and leisure we should probably stop. My wife's tennis courts have been, closed our roads have been left open. Our sport is probably unique in that it takes place on the public highway.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Sports Direct vows to keep shops open despite new curbs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52011915
Same here. I didn't ride this morning, although the weather was lovely and it pained me to remain indoors. I wanted to think this through. I go out very early - typically 4:30am and ride for two hours on empty country lanes - zero risk to anybody. What complicates this, philosophically, is that I bring along my camera and shoot images of cycling in the landscape - this is an integral part of my rides. Again, I do this, typically, on deserted country lanes with absolutely no one about. There would be zero risk to me or anybody else by my continuing to do this as I do my permitted once-a-day "exercise". But pursuing photography - my profession, even if unpaid in this case - is not exactly within the spirit of the ban on activities and I really don't want to be a prat about this. It's too important. And so sadly I think that if/when I do go out it'll be short rides around the town with no camera...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

We buy newspapers, I also have a news feed on both my phone and tablet.

D

Deleted member 1258

Thank you. I'm still struggling but I'm adding to the "carry on" list of reasons.

A lot of cyclists are unsure about this one, myself included.

Velochris

Über Member
I agree that cycling will often mean minimal risk of infection. I know I could do a three hour ride and stay further away from fewer people than if I did a 30 minute run along the pavements.

However, my ride would be in fairly isolated rural areas. Emergency services are stretched and this will only get worse. From experience I know the amount of resources required if a cyclist crashes in remote areas.

I therfore think we need to also consider that, albeit it is only a small chance of such an event occurring.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A lot of cyclists are unsure about this one, myself included.

Yep. Lots of my cycle buddies are struggling with the whole thing. There's a big debate in the club Facebook group.

I agree that cycling will often mean minimal risk of infection. I know I could do a three hour ride and stay further away from fewer people than if I did a 30 minute run along the pavements.

However, my ride would be in fairly isolated rural areas. Emergency services are stretched and this will only get worse. From experience I know the amount of resources required if a cyclist crashes in remote areas.

I therfore think we need to also consider that, albeit it is only a small chance of such an event occurring.

I agree. It was an argument put forward by friends days ago when I continued to ride. At that time my countering point was when people stop driving the potential burden on the NHS will reduce.

People have effectively been told to stop driving other than absolutely essential journeys - food, medicine, key workers.

Velochris

Über Member
Yep. Lots of my cycle buddies are struggling with the whole thing. There's a big debate in the club Facebook group.

I agree. It was an argument put forward by friends days ago when I continued to ride. At that time my countering point was when people stop driving the potential burden on the NHS will reduce.

People have effectively been told to stop driving other than absolutely essential journeys - food, medicine, key workers.

I agree. All unncessary journeys, car, bicycle etc... would help reduce the burden. As much as we all love cycling, I cannot put my hand on heart and say I can justify long remote rides at the moment.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I agree. All unncessary journeys, car, bicycle etc... would help reduce the burden. As much as we all love cycling, I cannot put my hand on heart and say I can justify it at the moment.
I feel I can for my physical and mental wellbeing but will be sensible. For instance I walked at 5.30am this morning. If I cycle I will be alone on country roads....no stopping and no contact.

C R

Guru
This is the bit I keep going back to. If I have an accident an end up in A&E, I will not only use scarce resources, I will also have more risky contacts than I would otherwise.

I know that people counter with what about a car accident or a DIY accident. Well, the point is to first, reduce social contact to cut the probability of transmission, but also, reduce unnecessary activities that might indirectly lead to increased contact. It is a difficult calculation, as I mentioned elsewhere, and, absent stricter guidelines, each of us will have to decide what works for us.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This is the bit I keep going back to. If I have an accident an end up in A&E, I will not only use scarce resources, I will also have more risky contacts than I would otherwise.

I know that people counter with what about a car accident or a DIY accident. Well, the point is to first, reduce social contact to cut the probability of transmission, but also, reduce unnecessary activities that might indirectly lead to increased contact. It is a difficult calculation, as I mentioned elsewhere, and, absent stricter guidelines, each of us will have to decide what works for us.
I've slipped in the bath more times than I've come off the bike. I just feel if we can't keep ourselves mentally and physically fit, this is going to be unbearable and potentially lead to more health problems.

Top Bottom