Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
So anyone without a car living more than 2km from a food shop must pay for delivery, beg charity or starve?

Contrary to "no grey areas"... It looks clear in the current amended decree https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000041728476&categorieLien=cid that there is no discrimination against active travel - in other words, you could go to work or food shopping or medical centres by bike as validly as by car - so where is this "no cycling is allowed whatsoever" laid down? Could it be in the massive grey area of "Le représentant de l'Etat dans le département est habilité à adopter des mesures plus restrictives en matière de déplacement des personnes lorsque les circonstances locales l'exigent" / "The State representative in the district is empowered to adopt more restrictive travel measures for people if the local circumstances require it"?

I fear for France if its government is harming residents' health by restricting exercise so severely that few will persist, right at the time when the government should want everyone to be fighting fit, ready for possibly the fight of their lives against this virus.
I think you are ok to go shopping for food even on a bike not that you could carry much l guess. I dont ever remember seeing a cyclist at Intermarché even in normal times but you would probably be ok if you had the Attestation de déplacement dérogatoire signed and dated etc. As for people without a car, what we have done is to collect orders from friends and neighbours , put together one large order and email the supermarket . We will be collecting the whole lot on Wednesday evening ! We will then drop off peoples orders or they can collect from us if they are in our village! It could be called helping those less fortunate than oneself , no sweat !

woodbutcher

Veteran
There is obviously a lot that would normally be encouraged but isn't at the moment - like going school. I don't think I will die if I don't ride my bike but might from the virus. I would still like to ride my bike in s responsible way - which after yesterday will be going out later on a weekday evenings not Sunday afternoon
I stick a bike on the trainer and do an hour or so out on our terrace .....bloody boring it is too but at least it is exercise of sorts :bicycle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think you are ok to go shopping for food even on a bike not that you could carry much l guess.
I have panniers up to 60 litres, 35 litre backpack, front basket and a trailer. The Dutch bike can carry more than my car boot (but not if the back seats are folded down).

It just seems irresponsible to drive a car unnecessarily, polluting, getting in the way of delivery vehicles and risking hurting other people so much more severely.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have panniers up to 60 litres, 35 litre backpack, front basket and a trailer. The Dutch bike can carry more than my car boot (but not if the back seats are folded down).

It just seems irresponsible to drive a car unnecessarily, polluting, getting in the way of delivery vehicles and risking hurting other people so much more severely.
Good for you , l am not knocking using a bike for shopping etc. especially one like yours in Norfolk and as an ex. resident of both Diss and Norwich l am aware that the area is flat compared with here. The people we are trying to help are either elderly or not in the first flush of youth. So lm afraid cars are the only option for them normally !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Good for you , l am not knocking using a bike for shopping etc. especially one like yours in Norfolk and as an ex. resident of both Diss and Norwich l am aware that the area is flat compared with here. The people we are trying to help are either elderly or not in the first flush of youth. So lm afraid cars are the only option for them normally !
I'm not knocking the likes of you carrying so much it's arguably necessary for that terrain. More the "drive to the corner shop for one newspaper" brigade. Its car park was full again today. I struggle to think how you could buy enough of its limited ranges not to be able to carry it walking even - maybe one of the cars has a disabled badge but no way did all twelve!

woodbutcher

Veteran
I'm not knocking the likes of you carrying so much it's arguably necessary for that terrain. More the "drive to the corner shop for one newspaper" brigade. Its car park was full again today. I struggle to think how you could buy enough of its limited ranges not to be able to carry it walking even - maybe one of the cars has a disabled badge but no way did all twelve!
Fair point !

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Just had an email from Cycling UK. The advice (which i think was the original subject of this thread) has been significantly revised and in my opinion is now greatly improved and also very clear. I am clearer what is expected in my situation (and is what I have decided to do in any case but pleased with the confirmation).

If @Ian H had anything to do with getting this advice made more logical and useful many thanks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I think you are ok to go shopping for food even on a bike not that you could carry much l guess.

Two rear panniers or a trailer with 70 litre bag. You could carry plenty even without a cargo bike.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Just seen a report on SKY regarding a possible lock down because people are going out too much. The picture they have used looks OK to me - cyclists seem socially distanced (maybe not the two at the back) and there is one without a helmet!

Edit - also missed the person sat closely behind the female cyclist at the top of the hill!

1584989568242.png

woodbutcher

Veteran
Just seen a report on SKY regarding a possible lock down because people are going out too much. The picture they have used looks OK to me - cyclists seem socially distanced (maybe not the two at the back) and there is one without a helmet!

Edit - also missed the person sat closely behind the female cyclist at the top of the hill!

View attachment 510042
Is that really light traffic ? Holy smoke l've been in rural France for far to long because that looks like a traffic jam to me.
And everyone is on the wrong side f the road ....^_^

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
We don't know if the ones cycling together are family members in which case OK.

Anyway won't be for much longer.

Funny I was reading some months ago that virus coming in the spring would be good because people are less likely to catch it outside - as opposed to the Flu at all the Xmas parties. But things change I guess.

Top Bottom