Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Just been out on my bike and one thing for sure it is absolutely impossible to maintain a 2m distance from others which is what the NHS website recommends for social distancing.

Edit - not least because most people make absolutely no effort to do so

Last edited:
OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
The Cycling UK advice has now changed. The bullet point below is second bullet point in my OP (third if you look at the full document) and interestingly no longer quotes the Doctor but quotes PHE (other points still quote the Doctor). As far as I am aware this is still not the advice on the NHS website which still says stricter social distancing - whatever that means. I think I will now give up with getting any clear advice from anyone and just do what seems reasonable to me.

PHE: If you are in a vulnerable group then we strongly advise that you stay at home to reduce your overall social contacts during the period in which the social distancing measures apply.

Edit - this compares with NHS website which is not the same and I quote

We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
it is absolutely impossible to maintain a 2m distance from others which is what the NHS website recommends for social distancing.
Why not? Passing riders and peds (both with verbal warning as necessary) or riding past others going the other way doesn't 'count' - by that I mean that because the closeness is fleeting, the risk of cross-infection is (surely) negligible. It's when people (peds) congregate in groups, even small ones, and fail to keep 2m apart, inside or outside, that risk increases aiui.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
I have to go shopping from time to time where I am at considerably more risk than out on my bike where I need have close contact with nobody. If anybody says I might fall off and need attention then I can go on three wheels where even that risk is minimised. I do not have trike tyres suitable for forest tracks but I can check them out. Problem there is these tracks are probably jammed with people so I am more isolated on the road.

They have closed National Trust and round here country parks which means people will be more concentrated on where they can still get out.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Why not? Passing riders and peds (both with verbal warning as necessary) or riding past others going the other way doesn't 'count' - by that I mean that because the closeness is fleeting, the risk of cross-infection is (surely) negligible. It's when people (peds) congregate in groups, even small ones, and fail to keep 2m apart, inside or outside, that risk increases aiui.
in which case no problem if it doesn't count.

Ajax Bay

Guru
no problem if it [passing fleetingly closer than 2m] doesn't count.
What do you think? Compared to going to food shops, which people who are not home-isolating have to do, on a bike or otherwise, which does 'count' (see working definition of 'count' above) but the benefits of eating outweigh the risk.

Randombiker9

You and the other volunteers "like sitting a foot part from each other" (31cm!!!), don't know that "no one has got it". When each of us catches this, it won't be from someone we know "has got it", it'll be a passing probably assymptomatic contact, direct from mouth or via deposited droplets on surfaces you have touched and transfered to body orifice.
The Nature of the job you wash hands often anyway and no one was showing any symptoms etc... and anyway they decided to close fully today with only staff that live on site allowed to care for the animals.

just curios, why do you think shopping centres are still open especially with restaurants and cafes etc... being closed? I don’t see the point of them remaining open?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
How are they going to stop teens hanging round with each other? I can't see them willingly self-isolating, unless they're goths. Fine the parents £500 each time the kid is found outside in a group?

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
What do you think? Compared to going to food shops, which people who are not home-isolating have to do, on a bike or otherwise, which does 'count' (see working definition of 'count' above) but the benefits of eating outweigh the risk.

I thought you were saying it didn't count? I don't know if it does or not but I guess it's clearly a lower risk.

Anyway after today I will be going out when there are fewer people around which can't hurt.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
How are they going to stop teens hanging round with each other? I can't see them willingly self-isolating, unless they're goths. Fine the parents £500 each time the kid is found outside in a group?

I think it's fairly like we will all be confined indoors as other countries too hard to police otherwise

Reactions: C R

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I do not have trike tyres suitable for forest tracks but I can check them out. Problem there is these tracks are probably jammed with people so I am more isolated on the road.
Yes, I'm struggling to remember which forest tracks and flood banks are used by maintenance or farm vehicles (so wide enough to pass someone distant) and which are single track so best avoided.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes, I'm struggling to remember which forest tracks and flood banks are used by maintenance or farm vehicles (so wide enough to pass someone distant) and which are single track so best avoided.
That for me may be less of a problem now that tourists are not allowed on the ferries so less people on forest roads. One problem is that some have padlocked gates with a side bit to get a bike round. Unless they have changed the locks I still have a key. We used these roads sometimes for cycle racing and I got a key in case of emergency requiring access by a vehicle. All my recent cycling has been on roads so I have no idea what the surfaces are like just now and while I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus on the rear wheel the front are the standard ones which came with the trike. One track I know has mostly reasonable surface there is a section made up with football size rocks. On a bike I could get off and walk but not so easy with a trike.

BigMeatball

I think it's fairly like we will all be confined indoors as other countries too hard to police otherwise

If people this week behave the same way they behaved last week, the govt is going to go down the route of total lockdown, Italy style.

Last week I went for a walk on my lunch break. Never seen the roads so crowded and my local park was just surreal: groups of people just hanging out, old and young, dozens of children in the playground, old folks walking the dogs.

Same thing yesterday when I went for a run.

And I'm not even going to mention all the old toolbags crowding in waitrose and m&s just like if nothing happens.

The government overestimated the intelligence of the people. I guess it's time to do it the hard way now.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
People don't want to stay indoors all weekend at the start of spring on a sunny day and unless you make them are not going to.

What is different to the flu is that the virus doesn't come out straight away.It can incubate inside you for up to two weeks so i can be writing this saying i'm healthy with no symptoms when in fact i could have it.That is why social distancing and self isolation are so important.
I am going on solo bike rides and taking the dogs out but obviously social distancing and that's it.

Top Bottom