Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
EDIT: THE ADVICE QUOTED BELOW HAS NOW BEEN UPDATED BY CYCLING UK.

Cycling UK advice "is it safe to cycle" per the link below. Is it me or is this rather confusing?

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/c...Bcty13ftjPG-_jICs1SCxK374IgCO0GLAfXWPPCbg45J4

Q: I’m a healthy cyclist over the age of 70, is it safe for me to continue cycling during the Coronavirus outbreak?
KH: Yes. The latest advice is to self-isolate at home for the next twelve weeks to protect yourself from infection. Exercise is encouraged, which would permit cycling indoors on a turbo trainer or an exercise bike.
Tissue use and hand washing advice is as above.
Q: I’m a cyclist with chronic health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes or COPD , is it safe for me to continue cycling during the Coronavirus outbreak?
KH: Yes, as above.

Q: I’m a cyclist who has been in physical contact / close proximity recently with friends or relatives with symptoms who are self-isolating and I live in the same household as them - is it safe for me to continue cycling during the Coronavirus outbreak?
KH: No. You are high risk to others as you may be infected, although may not be showing symptoms. It would be wise (although frustrating) to stay at home and use a turbo trainer or exercise bike if you have one, instead of going out, even if you feel well.

The first two paragraphs I have pasted above say yes it is OK to continue cycling but then seem to imply this should only be indoors. The third paragraph says no not safe to cycle should only exercise indoors.

This is surely confusing (to me at least) because in first two it IS safe to cycle but you should do it indoors and the final one it ISN'T safe to cycle so you should only cycle indoors.

What do others make of it?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, Cycling UK, those famous health and epidemiology experts.

It seems simple to me:

The second paragraph it's ok to carry onc cycling if you're not infected.

The third paragraph, if you're self isolating because you're either infected or been in close contact with someone who is infected, then you should stay indoors.

However...

The first paragraph is wrong. The advice for high risk groups is not to self-isolate, but to socially distance themselves. Self isolation is for people who are infected or who have been in close contact with someone who is infected.

Ignore any advice from me, or your neighbour, or Dr Nothing, the self appointed professor of bollocks who wants only to get his face on telly, and even CUK. Take such advice from the NHS website only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Well they have consulted a doctor so not just totally made it up themselves - I just don't think its clear.

D

Deleted member 26715

This is surely confusing (to me at least) because in first two it IS safe to cycle and the final one it ISN'T safe to cycle so you should only cycle indoors.

What do others make of it?
Don't the first 2 say indoor cycling only?

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
That's my point. All 3 seem to say only cycle indoors. But two answer yes it is safe to continue cycling and the final one says no its not. But ultimately the same advice for all 3.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You have to take it in the context of the first Q & A which you have omitted from your post. In the first one aged under 70 with no health conditions you were safe to cycle outside. But in the final scenario listed you can’t do that even if you are well. Perhaps it should have said outdoors, but otherwise I didn’t have a problem understanding it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The first bit you left out, clearly talking about cycling outside

I’m a healthy cyclist under the age of 70, is it safe for me to continue cycling during the Coronavirus outbreak?
Dr Hattersley (KH): Yes. There is no reason for you to stop cycling. Visits to cafes and pubs should be avoided to limit exposure to infection. You should carry tissues to use when cycling, disposing of them safely in a bin as soon as possible.

Upon returning home, you must wash your hands. It’s also advisable to wash your cycling gloves, too. Remember to avoid touching your face if your hands are not clean.

D

Deleted member 26715

You have to take it in the context of the first Q & A which you have omitted from your post. In the first one aged under 70 with no health conditions you were safe to cycle outside. But in the final scenario listed you can’t do that even if you are well. Perhaps it should have said outdoors, but otherwise I didn’t have a problem understanding it.
That's how I read it

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Don't the first 2 say indoor cycling only?
Those paragraphs imply that. Not sure the first para is correct as per Drago's observation above.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
To start with I found it confusing and still think it is personally - but even worse it turns out to not only confusing but incorrect which I think is really quite poor from a national organisation. What is recommended is being more stringent regarding social distancing as noted by @Drago. Social distancing rather than self isolation would not seem to imply that you can only cycle indoors. If I go cycling outside by myself I would consider myself to be as socially distanced as I can be. More so than being in the house with my family.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
An earlier version made more sense. It has been updated but not entirely eptly. I might give Dr Kate a nudge, ask her to look.

tom73

Guru
Sports England have the following say
Getting active outside is still fine! If you are well and have no symptoms, going for a walk, run or a cycle is also a good way to take a break. Again just follow the advice on social distancing and contact & consider doing it solo or with someone you live with.

Top Bottom