Cycling whilst drunk? Should I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I did it back in the distant past. On one evening I start to leen left and could not correct myself until it was too late and I went over a wall and landed in someones garden narrowly missing 2 parked cars ;)
It buggered up my front wheel and a set of handlebars. Really not worth it and good to see you have a lift sorted now :biggrin:
Think of the comedy value you provided. You've done the world a service.

Maz

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
I wobbled into a hedge and fell asleep on top of a grit bin.;)
Did you get nicked for a salt?

U

User482

I used to do it a bit. One year, after a very drunken xmas work do, 3 of us got on one bike, steamed down a big hill, straight across a busy main road at the bottom (brakes not strong enough to stop 3 blokes). God only knows how we weren't all killed.

I don't drink and cycle any more.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I once cycled home through Oxford after helping a mate finish off his mum's home brewed carrot whisky. I was tramming along St Giles when I saw that the traffic had backed up for the lights. I decided I'd shoot up the big gap between the last car in the queue and the wall on the left, and promptly hit the kerb. I bounced off the wall and ended up on the floor looking up at the car which wasn't waiting for the lights, it had parked with its lights on while the driver went for a pee in the sunken Cathedral. The woman in the passenger seat wound down her window a couple of inches and told me that I was drunk. I thanked her, mopped the blood from a cut on my forehead, and carried my Crown Comet the last couple of miles home.

ronmac

4 pints usually becomes 5 becomes 6 becomes......

and the more you have the more capable you will feel for the cycle home but in reality you'll be more INcapable.

19k is a fair distance. It will probably be dark. What if you caused a car to crash and innocent people were killed perhaps including children. They're lives and yours ruined.

Sorry to be so serious but it really would be a stupid, irresponsible thing to do. Take a taxi, arrange for someone to pick you up, take a sleeping bag and sleep in the bushes, get a bed and breakfast, or else just don't go.

aqaleigh

jay clock said:
I am off for a lad's night out in a couple of weeks. Was thinking of cycling there and back, then I thought, could get bus over and RUN home. I am sure there are tons of reasons this is not a good idea, and now I looked at the distance it is too far to run (19km). I could cycle though. I would not be very drunk (2-3 pints, maybe 4 at a push, washed down by a curry)

I used to do it in London a long time ago on the basis that I was only putting myself at risk.

There is some urban myth that you can lose a car licence if you get done, but I suspect you would have to do something pretty bonkers or dangerous for that to happen!

Debate open!

HELL YEAH get on yer bike and ride :tongue::evil::biggrin:

ronmac

aqaleigh said:
HELL YEAH get on yer bike and ride :tongue::evil::biggrin:

Good attitude, Agaleigh "helping to fight cancer".

What's the difference from someone suffering from cancer and someone suffering physical and/or mental disabilities from a road accident ????

(or were you joking ???). Ron.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Last time I did it I was very responsible. I rode back off road.

Through the woods. In the dark. On 23 mm tyres. Towing a trailer.

Easy.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Last time I did it, I fell off trying clipless for the first time. In the middle of my road. Nasty gravel rash to knee and leg whilst wriggling about like a worm on a hook, trying to get out the bloody things.

Oh the shame.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The last time I did was 20 years ago.
I remember unlocking my bike when I left the party.
Ready to cycle from Kennington to Brixton. Not much more than a mile away.

The only part of the ride I actually remember was being thrown in a somersault onto my back on the pavement landing, winded, some ten foot away from my bike...........
Everything before and after was and still is a complete blank.

When I woke the next morning I could hardly move.
What I think happened was I kerbed my front wheel on the curving one way stretch approaching the end of north end of Brixton road.

Luckily it happened in the wee small hours but it is also a major bus route so while I nursed my bruises I started to realise just how easily I could have caused a serious accident or even killed myself, I took a risk I'd never dreamed of taking on a motorbike.

IME It's not worth it.

There's a difference between having a few drinks and P!ssed though. Some of my most memorable rides were in the wee small hours after a pleasant evening out and I've ridden 20 or 30 miles on occasion. I said it before though, only you will know if it's a good idea and pie-eyed out your face isn't.

Also, some of this stuff is a bit apocryphal isn't it. A bit, "oh my Gran never takes ice in her drink. She was traumatised for life when a bloke encased in ice fell out the sky and landed in front of her. He was sucked out of the airplane toilet in a freak accident. For her sake never go on a plane or mention them in front of her": I mean....

aqaleigh

ronmac said:
Good attitude, Agaleigh "helping to fight cancer".

What's the difference from someone suffering from cancer and someone suffering physical and/or mental disabilities from a road accident ????

(or were you joking ???). Ron.

I THINK YOU'LL FIND THE MAIN DIFFERENCE IN THE OP'S CASE - SHOULD IT HAPPEN (god forbid) - WOULD BE CHOICE

HAVING A COUPLE OF DRINKS AND RIDING A BIKE IS AS SAFE A SAY WALKING OR GETTING A BUS OR ANYTHING ELSE

YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRINK UNTIL YOUR INCAPABLE OF RIDING ( the op states 2-3 pints across the whole night before a meal and then home)

PLUS YOU BEEN ON A LATE NIGHT BUS OR TRAIN RECENTLY? NOW WE ARE TALKING DANGEROUS

Top Bottom