Cycling whilst drunk? Should I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
In my teens I would regularly ride when I could barely stand.
These days I don't have more than about 5 pints and ride.
Hang on - that's more than I could drink then!!!
I may need to ponder this...

LazyLoki

I think 2 or 3 pints over the course of an evening would be fine but I guess you'd just have to wait and see what you feel like at the time. However, much more and you will probably be convinced that you definitely CAN do it...no probs...easy!

Just don't try doing it while carrying 2 new tires across your shoulders...

Do they still do that on the London-Brighton? Pub stops I mean.I remember there were a few pubs en-route,same with London-Cambridge.I never did that as I was aware that I would be cycling miles.I tended to cycle back after the 1993 L-B,my first L-B ride.

Not really the thing for me as all alcohol does is make me tired and put me to sleep.

I remember doing it in the 1980's but it was very rare and probably the last time I ever did it.Don't know how I didn't hit anything as I was absolutely steaming.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
it is 1.21 am - just got back. puncture .. dark lane. torch in teeth... new tube went bang with CO2.... amazingly tyre stayed up for about 2km. then went down. called cab... will update tomorrrow

Slowgrind

It`s a well known fact that some people drive (ride) better after a few pints, is`nt it? Reactions get quicker or something. Turns some people into Ninjas or something!

I once left a party in Kennington, jumped on the bike when it dawned on me how jolly sloshed I was. Taking to back roads I got to the Elephant and Castle roundabout and thought better of negotiating it by bike so walked it. Went to get back on the bike but my look cleats slipped and I fell on top of it instead jamming the rear wheel against the stay and rendering it unrideable. I had to carry the bike because it wouldn't roll, my cleated race shoes lasted 100 yards before I removed them. I walked all the way back to Hackney in my socks.

I woke up in the morning to discover the shed door had been kicked in with no sign of my bike. Gutted, my pride and joy, fixed wheel 1936 Curly Hetchins gone.

Well I didn't have another bike so took to the bus. A week later from the bus I saw my bike! Chained to a lamp-post on the cycle-path I used.

With my lock.

It all came flooding back, I'd grown tired of carrying it and had locked it there with the plan to pick it up in the morning, straighten the rear wheel in the frame and ride to college.. Der.

10/10 Mickle - good one! :smile:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
mickle said:
I once left a party in Kennington, jumped on the bike when it dawned on me how jolly sloshed I was. Taking to back roads I got to the Elephant and Castle roundabout and thought better of negotiating it by bike so walked it. Went to get back on the bike but my look cleats slipped and I fell on top of it instead jamming the rear wheel against the stay and rendering it unrideable. I had to carry the bike because it wouldn't roll, my cleated race shoes lasted 100 yards before I removed them. I walked all the way back to Hackney in my socks.

I woke up in the morning to discover the shed door had been kicked in with no sign of my bike. Gutted, my pride and joy, fixed wheel 1936 Curly Hetchins gone.

Well I didn't have another bike so took to the bus. A week later from the bus I saw my bike! Chained to a lamp-post on the cycle-path I used.

With my lock.

It all came flooding back, I'd grown tired of carrying it and had locked it there with the plan to pick it up in the morning, straighten the rear wheel in the frame and ride to college.. Der.

A true classic story. I'm sure there is a lesson in there somewhere :becool:

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
it is 1.21 am - just got back. puncture .. dark lane. torch in teeth... new tube went bang with CO2.... amazingly tyre stayed up for about 2km. then went down. called cab... will update tomorrrow

OK, I posted the original question, and the update above.....here is the full story

I cycled to Romsey (17km) met friends, had about 3 pints over the course of the evening followed by a curry. I then left about midnight to cycle back. About 6km from home in a very small very dark lane which only gets about 1 car an hour during the day, certainly very little at night, and where the nearest house is about 800m away, I get a front puncture.

Luckily I have all the stuff including a new tube and a CO2 pump. Using one of my lights in my mouth I managed to change the tube. When I had the tyre back on it felt like there was an empty bit at one spot, and looking back I should have realised! This meant part of the tube was sticking out from under the tyre beading. When I applied the CO2, very loud bang, and a massive rip in the part of the inner tube outside the tyre. But the tyre stayed inflated! The tyre beading must have clamped down on the inner tube sealing it off

Worried it would go down, I set off again asap and managed another 2km before it went. Although I had a patch kit I really couldn't be stuffed, and at this point called a taxi which came within about 8 mins.

What was very weird was that half way through my puncture repair, a vehicle came slowly down the lane. It was a paramedic ambulance! She slowed to check I was ok, and when I asked her what she was doing down there she said the satnav directed her that way to Chandlers Ford. It is the right way but runs directly parallel to a fast A road, so I was puzzled. She was also driving pretty slowly. Odd....

Home safely though!

montage

God Almighty
Rumour has it that new years eve I cycled home at 3am.... I woke up in the morning remembering very little with pedal marks all up the back of my legs and beer cans in my drinks holders.

If push comes to shove, use the pavement :becool: better than having an accident with a car

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
montage said:
If push comes to shove, use the pavement :biggrin: better than having an accident with a car

Yer, run over pedestrians or wrap yourself around a lamp post instead. Push should never come to shove full stop.:becool:

If this was a conversation about drink driving most if not all of us would be horrified.

montage

God Almighty
on a serious note...if I find myself in a bad state, I do refuse to cycle home 99% of the time and either blag a lift/bed/kitchen floor

Top Bottom