Cycling with the ache?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I stress that I'm not talking pain or injury, rather the nice ache you get in your legs the day after a challenging ride.

I tend to associate it with my muscles, such as they are, strengthening or repairing themselves.

Is it best to wait a day until this subsides?

I stress that I don't NEED to ride - I don't commute and nor do I wake every day facing stage of Le Tour.

Nor do I care anything for so called training regimes - I am not a racer.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I used to like a shortish 'leg spinner' ride after a tough day. Steady start until the malic (?) acid disapates, then up the tempo a bit.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Muscle use causes small tears in the tissue. Hence the mild pain the day after. They will heal 36-48 hours after exertion, but you can reduce this period by stretching and gentle riding. Gentle exercise stimulates the blood flow and gets nutrients to the muscles to aid recovery.

So, ride if you want and rest if you don't.

si_c

Guru
I like going out for a gentle spin the day after a harder/longer ride - I find it helps the muscles loosen up. Not too worried about any training effect or anything, I just find it a pleasant thing to do.

vickster

Legendary Member
thanks - I'll skip the cross-training though.
and any other exercise.
Don’t forget weight bearing is also crucial for bone density, important in older adults ;)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Don’t forget weight bearing is also crucial for bone density, important in older adults ;)
if by that you mean weight training vickster, sod that as well.
I feel lucky to have discovered cycling - no desire to do anything else, gym work, body shaping etc.

pawl

Legendary Member
I stress that I'm not talking pain or injury, rather the nice ache you get in your legs the day after a challenging ride.

I tend to associate it with my muscles, such as they are, strengthening or repairing themselves.

Is it best to wait a day until this subsides?

I stress that I don't NEED to ride - I don't commute and nor do I wake every day facing stage of Le Tour.

Nor do I care anything for so called training regimes - I am not a racer.

I don’t know what age you are.I find at my age 79 I do not ride on consecutive days but alternate days.

I ride 15 to 40 miles and find this suits me

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I like a very low intensity mooch the day after a big one; meaning heart rate zone 0 or 1 and putting in as absolutely little effort as possible into peddling.

The Polar software for my GPS unit makes a big thing of recovery time; which reduces after a recovery ride has been recorded. I like to think that the increased movement and bloodflow has to be good for recovery and on the odd occasion think I've staved off even worse DOMS on subsequent days with a recovery ride; however have no objective proof so it might all be bollocks :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
if by that you mean weight training vickster, sod that as well.
I feel lucky to have discovered cycling - no desire to do anything else, gym work, body shaping etc.
Nope, just weight bearing exercise...ie walking, jogging...unlike cycling which is nwb

Top Bottom