Cycling Workout - Road Racing / Riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poolcue

Hi folks,

Just joined this site after a quick Google search. So, hello the name is Pete.
I am looking for a bit of advice. I work with a guy who has got me completely and utterly hooked on the idea of getting a road bike.

The job i am in requires me to be physically fit and i am becoming quite bored with the motonous nature of my gym and the pool. In 2008 i have decided to take up some new hobbies / sports. Cycling is one of these, the other being Hillwalking (soon to be climbing).

I am currently saving up (sad i know, credit crunch) for my first road bike. I use my gym 4 times a week and i was just wondering are there any cyclists on this forum who follow a particular workout to prepare them for races etc?

Cheers,
Pete

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll need to do some reading up - lots of miles, linked in with plenty of speed work. If short of time, then it will be speed work - intervals etc, but at first you need to build base miles at a steady rate.

I'm an ex-racer as I don't have the time, and had a few years break (still cycled) until late 2006 - but am back at full fitness with commuting to work every day.

You can make commuting pay off - treat each change of lights as a new interval -i.e. ride hard in between sets of lights. Not so good in London or city centres, but if you have a slightly more suburban commute then it's possible !

Be surprised though - cycling is and can be very hard work - you'll be OK with gym work, but your big challenge will be developing your lungs and legs to cope - breathing and careful control is a key factor - get it wrong and you'll go backwards.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Welcome Pete. Whatever you decide to buy, just remember that bikes are very adaptable and can be modified to suit any rider and any position as long as the base frame is the right size. Don't accept discomfort and keep experimenting until you find the best setup.

Cycling is one of the few really enjoyable ways of improving your cardio-vascular fitness. Mountain biking is fun and gets you out into the country but the attrition rate on kit is high thanks to grit and mud and accidents. Also you don't really get the consistency of training with an MTB that you get on a road bike.

OP
OP
Poolcue

Poolcue

Thanks for the replies. In what way could i develop my lung capacity then? For the past few months, after overcoming an injury i have been working hard on my stamina and it seems to be going well.

I do not think i will be getting a road bike until either late this year (sales) or early in 2009. I'd like to be prepared for when i do.

Thanks

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
If you want to read something, get copy of the 'Lance Armstrong Performance Plan' book from the library. Amongst everything else, it includes a thirteen week program of daily training sessions at three levels as well as a weight training regime.

Many people confuse their feelings about LA with the information in the book, but his ideas do work and have the advantage that being very prescriptive, you know exactly what needs to be done each day. This helps when you're starting out. You will also be surprised how many easy / rest days there are. Training is a combination of over exertion and recovery for adaption. Because of the nature of cycling, it's common for most riders to continually do neither one of these or the other. They just pootle along getting tired but not better, or alternatively, beast themselves on every occasion because their belief in the 'no pain - no gain mantra' is triggered by their compulsive behaviour.

If you were to take the general training outline for a year, it would be this: Autumn: complete rest for a couple of weeks plus the start of weight training (low weight, high reps) Early Winter: continued weight training plus some form of cross training (rowing machine /swimming). After Christmas: Less weights, more aerobic (slow) longer events, including longer rides at weekend, longer swims, fell walking, nordic skiing. Late Winter: Only maintenance level weights, bike specific training (indoors on turbo if necessary) and continue with some longer rides at w/ends. Spring: Focussed bike specific training depending on targets for that summer.

From this you can see that it's possible to do bike relevant training until at least after Christmas without the need for a bike! In fact any old bike (begged, stolen or borrowed) would also do through to March.

Top Bottom