Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Nice effort Martin. I didn’t realise you were out there (silly Strava algorithm!). I’ve been out there once and got a Baltic cold week in mid February. Even some flakes of snow on the climb up Coll de Rates. How’s the weather with you (assuming you are still there of course) 😂 did you go out on an organised training camp?

Hi Al. I've been here a week and leaving in 30 minutes. It has been great weather and an organised event. I'll probably put a post up about it when I get back. Calpe is awesome 👌

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Calpe is awesome 👌

Have to agree there 💯
I stayed in a villa just outside the small town of Callosa d’en Sarria. It was at the foot of Taberna and Rates was close by too. An organised ‘camp’ too. I must get back.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Have to agree there 💯
I stayed in a villa just outside the small town of Callosa d’en Sarria. It was at the foot of Taberna and Rates was close by too. An organised ‘camp’ too. I must get back.

Nice location. I've been looking at hotel/plane prices for December today :smile:

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Now that my Base Phase is completely done and dusted (Calpe was the perfect finale) I am now in a more intense phase. This is Friday's joy.

Basically 6 x 10 minutes flat out to Exhaustion, with 10 mins recoveries. Gonna be horrible.

1711470795629.png

After a bad stomach reaction to something on Monday night I just cycle commuted on Tuesday and skipped my workout on Tuesday so tonight was my first workout of the week, Red Slate -4 (an Under Over session building to Over Way Over). I rode it a bit conservatively and never dug deep, it shows in the last block, where the threshold intervals were actually tempo on average. Importantly over 2hours later and after tea there’s been no stomach reaction tonight.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Now that my Base Phase is completely done and dusted (Calpe was the perfect finale) I am now in a more intense phase. This is Friday's joy.

Basically 6 x 10 minutes flat out to Exhaustion, with 10 mins recoveries. Gonna be horrible.

Yep, it was as horrible as I anticipated. I cracked on the 5th effort.

A bank holiday and nice weather (albeit windy) saw me cave in and change my rest day to an endurance day. Afterall that was TrainerRoad's RLGL recommendation

:wink:

Following that advice I opted for Carter.

I went out of town on the cycle path and down Holme Road from Yaxley to keep it Z1 warmup did the workout into the wind and looped round Woodwalton and mainly had a tail wind in the cooldown and decided to take my out route back so I could stay in zone.

The MyWindsock's analysis of 43.5miles is an April Fool I think:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Last week for me had my monthly power tests scheduled for Monday (3 & 10min) and Wednesday (20min). Neither went to plan which I will put down to two things:- (1) not following the previous weeks lower volume schedule, and (b) it’s starting to warm up in my pain cave or front sitting room as the wife calls it.

My legs didn’t feel great for the first one but I did bang out a new 3 minute power PB but I cracked mentally and physically very early in the 10min effort. The 20 min session went the same way.

I finished off the week with a zwift race on Thurs and two long endurance sessions over the weekend.

As I say I put it down to the pain cave being a fair bit warmer than usual so I just hope it’s that and not down to over training.

I’m for Mallorca tomorrow evening for a weeks cycling with some pals. One of my early season goals is to hit Sa Calobra for a PB. My best is 36:43 and I’m going to aim for sub 35. Could be a tall ask but the training has gone well. I’ll also have a crack at a sub-10minute time on the hill out of Pt.Pollensa towards Formentor.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Last week for me had my monthly power tests scheduled for Monday (3 & 10min) and Wednesday (20min). Neither went to plan which I will put down to two things:- (1) not following the previous weeks lower volume schedule, and (b) it’s starting to warm up in my pain cave or front sitting room as the wife calls it.

My legs didn’t feel great for the first one but I did bang out a new 3 minute power PB but I cracked mentally and physically very early in the 10min effort. The 20 min session went the same way.

I finished off the week with a zwift race on Thurs and two long endurance sessions over the weekend.

As I say I put it down to the pain cave being a fair bit warmer than usual so I just hope it’s that and not down to over training.

I’m for Mallorca tomorrow evening for a weeks cycling with some pals. One of my early season goals is to hit Sa Calobra for a PB. My best is 36:43 and I’m going to aim for sub 35. Could be a tall ask but the training has gone well. I’ll also have a crack at a sub-10minute time on the hill out of Pt.Pollensa towards Formentor.

Maybe try your power tests again outdoors in the sun?

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Yeah I’ll definitely have a go at the 10 minute as I’ll need a PB there go get close to a PB on the Formentor climb. For Sa Calobra I know it’s a 35 to 40 minute effort so I’ll pace that one a bit over my FTP. Even though I expect it to be warmer the natural air flow will be a big help.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Yeah I’ll definitely have a go at the 10 minute as I’ll need a PB there go get close to a PB on the Formentor climb. For Sa Calobra I know it’s a 35 to 40 minute effort so I’ll pace that one a bit over my FTP. Even though I expect it to be warmer the natural air flow will be a big help.

My coach would class a max 35-40 minute effort pretty much as your FTP.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
My coach would class a max 35-40 minute effort pretty much as your FTP.

Yeah if I’m realistic I will do well to hold FTP for 35 minutes saying as it’s a slog getting over Femenia / Batalla to get to the foot of sa Calobra.

Yesterdays workout was a new one for me - 4x5mins at FTP but with a v.low cadence of 60rpm. I’m normally a bit of a spinner on the higher power efforts so this was a testing workout with short recovery in between.

Today I had another work out planned but I’ve knocked it on the head as I’m feeling tired plus I have a big week ahead.

Top Bottom