Cyclist abuses woman after he rode two abreast.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Er, drivers should always overtake on the other side of the road. Assuming a run of the mill single carriageway, how is driver supposed to overtake a rider with the requisite 1.5 metre clearance if the driver does not intrude mostly or wholly onto the opposite side of the carriageway?

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
As opposed to dangerously overtaking singled-out cyclists while unnecessarily aiming to stay on the same side of the road, you mean ?
Exactly

wajc

Veteran
Aside from the shouting and bickering over who was in the wrong, I have never understood why cyclists go two abreast to have a chit chat. Its just inconsiderate to drivers who will need to overtake on the wrong side of the road. On country lanes this can lead to some very dangerous overtakes. Fine if you are out at silly oclock in the morning go ahead but its very inconsiderate at other times.

Why cyclists ride side by side

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone

Yeah and I would not have an issue with that. If the selfish sods actually adhered to the highway code. Below extract of the highway code from your article.

"Rule 66 of the Highway Code only stipulating that cyclists should ride in single file “on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.”"

Cycle side by side to your hearts content on wide straight roads. That isnt what most drivers take issue at.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It’s more than a technicality. Your description puts a completely different complexion on the incident, not to mention being an assumption that, as far as I have seen, is unsupported. It‘s like me saying the driver deliberately close passed him.

I don’t know how justified his outburst was because we haven’t seen what caused it. He might have been making a mountain out of a molehill or he might have been genuinely apprehensive of severe injury.

Oh I wasn't saying he didn't have reason to be scared or apprehensive at the time of the incident.

Nor that the driver wasn't driving badly.
It was his subsequent interaction with her, afterwards that I was taking issue with.

He may have felt understandable anger, induced by fear.

But shouting abuse like that doesn't help anything - not him - nor furthering the cause of better driving around cyclists.

Still, I know its easier said than done some times to keep one's cool.

But, there are some folks that dont seem to think we should even have to try.

Anyhoo, I'm super chilled right now after 5 hrs out, one hot chocolate, one milky coffee, a lovely piece of squidgy chocolate cake, many hills, two beaches, a distanced meet up with old friends, a black lives matter vigil on the seafront, and generally patient drivers on the hills, and wide enough passes in the lanes.

My new cycling buddy, has a Koga Hybrid btw.
:smile:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
If i were a driver and i am, i would not consider bringing up the HC, as frankly there are multiple discrepancies pertaining to the use of the horn, overtaking safely and the use of hand signals (of which a loosely gripped hand waving back and forth directed at other road users isn't recognised) that we can discuss that are not widely followed...

lane

Veteran
Some drivers I don't know what to make of them. I was out with my son yesterday, single file, when a car decides to overtake. He gives us a really wide pass which is great (whole car right over onto the other carriageway) only problem is he can't see what is coming the other way. So he has to stop and wait for us to get in front so he can pull back in. He then follows us and waits until he can see and again gives us a really wide pass. He was really considerate passing cyclists which is great, but also a bit of a twat. I couldn't really make up my mind about him.

He was better than the car that overtook me then cut me up turning left as soon as he got past though. Or the car that close passed me on a narrow bridge and stopped just in front to turn right.

Solocle

Über Member
Er, drivers should always overtake on the other side of the road. Assuming a run of the mill single carriageway, how is driver supposed to overtake a rider with the requisite 1.5 metre clearance if the driver does not intrude mostly or wholly onto the opposite side of the carriageway?
In fact, I hate WS2 (wide single carriageway) layouts. The A354 is pictured.
1595842234346.png

1595842282301.png

This is wider than the typical single carriageway lane, but still not wide enough to enable safe overtaking in the lane (I believe these are often converted S3 layouts, which had a central overtaking lane, so overtaking requires the cooperation of oncoming motorists).

But the lane is wider, so riding in secondary doesn't have the same effect on motorists, and it's pretty hard to ride in primary on a primary route!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yeah and I would not have an issue with that. If the selfish sods actually adhered to the highway code. Below extract of the highway code from your article.

"Rule 66 of the Highway Code only stipulating that cyclists should ride in single file “on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.”"

Cycle side by side to your hearts content on wide straight roads. That isnt what most drivers take issue at.

Just think for a minute about what you're advocating. Aren't you encouraging stupid overtakes on "narrow or busy roads" by doing what you suggest? If there isn't room for two abreast there likely isn't room for a safe overtake, particularly round a bend.

Fair enough on a one-and-a-half car width road, there's room for a sensible overtake (assuming the driver can see) if the cyclists single out. Likewise on a wide road where each lane is genuinely a car and and half wide. But on a narrow or windy road it's nuts for cars to squeeze past

lane

Veteran
You have to think of it from the drivers point of view. Complains to me about them riding two abreast then complains to me about them being out when it is raining. Maybe they would complain whatever.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't get drivers hatred of side by side riding, especially where the road is wide enough. 99.9% of cars have seats for two people side by side 100% of the time.

Top Bottom