Cyclist abuses woman after he rode two abreast.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
Regardless of what cyclists are permitted to do, I really don't understand the mindset where you have two cyclists riding two abreast when there is a car behind

It is a nothing thing to single out, let them through and give them a quick raise of the hand as they pass

Costs the cyclist nothing to do this, everyone is happy sharing the road as a result. Of course you can say that cyclists are "entitled" to ride two abreast but, for a few seconds, maybe it's better to forget the entitlement argument and spread the road use love?

Cycling 2 abreast does not prevent overtakes when there is no oncoming traffic. And if there is oncoming traffic, there should be no overtaking even a single cyclist, unless the road is wider than average.

boydj

Legendary Member
There was further info that he was riding 2-abreast with his wife and was subjected to a close pass as well as the horn abuse. Hence the anger, no doubt fuelled by adrenaline.

MarkF

Guru
There was further info that he was riding 2-abreast with his wife and was subjected to a close pass as well as the horn abuse. Hence the anger, no doubt fuelled by adrenaline.

Flippin eck, I'd never calm down if I went off on one after every toot and/or close pass. It's no excuse for his behaviour IMO.

Binka

Über Member
So she broke the law with a close pass.....shame he did have a camera. Local police reckon they’re cracking down on prosecuting for this.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Cycling 2 abreast does not prevent overtakes when there is no oncoming traffic. And if there is oncoming traffic, there should be no overtaking even a single cyclist, unless the road is wider than average.
You see, this is where we differ in terms of our attitude to other road users. On B roads and unclassifieds it is often narrow and, if we rode two abreast there is no way a car could overtake so would be stuck behind us. That doesn't help anyone. So we single out and that allows enough space to overtake when the car driver can see the way ahead is clear. Of course, they pass relatively closely but it's no big deal and we all get on with what we are doing. The alternative is that the car drivers have to stay behind us for miles while we ride two abreast. I find it hard to believe that cyclists would do that rather than single out and let the car past

There was further info that he was riding 2-abreast with his
You see, this is where we differ in terms of our attitude to other road users. On B roads and unclassifieds it is often narrow and, if we rode two abreast there is no way a car could overtake so would be stuck behind us. That doesn't help anyone. So we single out and that allows enough space to overtake when the car driver can see the way ahead is clear. Of course, they pass relatively closely but it's no big deal and we all get on with what we are doing. The alternative is that the car drivers have to stay behind us for miles while we ride two abreast. I find it hard to believe that cyclists would do that rather than single out and let the car past
I used to go on rides with a cyclist who for reasons best known to himself would actually deliberately block car drivers behind us. Plonker is the most polite word I would use about him.
On narrow lanes I very often pull a bit over/ride slowly into a roadside gap to let a driver through even when riding singly.
Just being polite/showing good roadcraft.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Cycling 2 abreast does not prevent overtakes when there is no oncoming traffic.

Sorry, but as a generalisation, that's nonsense.

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
Sorry, but as a generalisation, that's nonsense.
On a two-lane highway it would be true - cyclists riding two-abreast are about as wide as a car. On a narrower road of course this becomes an issue.

I would tend to ride single file but in a dominant position if overtaking is not appropriate. As and when I can get out of the way, whether into a driveway, gateway, wide verge or whatever then I’ll do it. If I’m on my MTB on the road I’ll often hop onto the verge and keep going, almost always eliciting a wave of acknowledgement.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I tend to agree - the majority of riding i do locally, is on what amounts to an average of one and a half widths worth of car space - with passing places - and lots of hills - i generally ride alone, but even in company its usually single file, and you snug up to the hedge - wave them on where you can to let people get through - if you didn't do this in summer time when there are lots of visitors unused to narrow lanes, you'd end up with massive tailbacks of hot cross traffic - even if you are technically 'in the right'

I'll often indicate my intentions to pull over at the next passing place / gateway, in case anyone is very impatient to get to beach before the sun goes down, and seems to be razzing on my back wheel, poor manners on their part - but they have to live with themselves the whole time.

All these random road sharing manoeuvres, are doubtless not in the highway code - but without them then cycling in Devon would be impossible - or at least amount to an endless series of confrontations.

Sometimes I'll end up being stuck behind a car for several miles who isn't going any faster than a bike because they're having to pull over quite often to let oncoming traffic past, but personally I would rather that than have to ride 'defensively' the whole time to assert my official 'highway code rights'

- Lifes too short - and some people do seem keen to hasten themselves into an early grave - either through stress, or bad driving - i'm not keen to join them..

boydj

Legendary Member

Our positions are actually quite similar. On narrow roads, clearly it would be discourteous not to single out once it is safe to do so. When a route takes me onto a single-track road and a car comes up behind, then I'll let the driver know that I'll pull over to make room for a pass at the next opportunity. I'm not deliberately going to hold up a driver for no reason, but my convenience beats the driver's convenience and I'm not going to dive into the gutter to make an overtake possible when there's oncoming traffic.

However, on normal A and B roads I'll be very wary of leaving space which might tempt a driver to pass when there's oncoming traffic and insufficient space for this to happen safely.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Depends on the conditions. I'm sure we've all been through this before but, if it's safe to let them past and doesn't impede my own progress too much I'll either single out or pull in where safe to let them past.
If the road is narrow, twisty, up and down and there's nowhere for me to wait safely, then they can bloody well wait behind me until the conditions are more favorable.
I don't care how long the queue behind is or how many are being held up. They're in a steel box surrounded by airbags and strapped in by seat belts. I'm not.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Maybe you wouldn't snap in certain situations but other people do. It's called losing your temper.
As I said earlier, we don't know exactly what happened prior to the video and we only have the lady and her friends word to go on.
How many times have we heard from a motorist "It wasn't my fault. I did no wrong"?

Losing your temper is a choice. You make a decision to react in that way. We could all speculate on what might have happened but as we don't have any other evidence we can only comment on what we can see - which a man acting very, very aggressively and calling someone a f**king c*nt. There's really no excuse for his behaviour.

CXRAndy

Guru
Losing your temper is a choice. You make a decision to react in that way. We could all speculate on what might have happened but as we don't have any other evidence we can only comment on what we can see - which a man acting very, very aggressively and calling someone a f**king c*nt. There's really no excuse for his behaviour.

I Don't know, when fight or flight adrenaline kicks in, just about anything can happen

Top Bottom