Cyclist abuses woman after he rode two abreast.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

What about the fat that the female driver felt it ok to misuse the horn because she was safely ensconced withing a tonne or more of metal? Would she have been so horn happy with a hulking great giant Haystacks type driving a Hummer? I think not.

This superiority-domination syndrome works both ways, not conveniently for one person and then not for another.

That's different: she didn't know she was misusing the horn.

On the other hand, the old tw@t on the bike knew that shouting and verbal abuse shouldn't be done, but ahead he went.

I really hope he gets what he deserves.

BigMeatball

She's a baddun for sure, she noticed the cyclist had no helmet so assumed he had no camera to fall back on for defence.

non cyclists don't know much about these things: before I was a cyclist I didn't know you could have cameras and all this tech on your bike. So probably not the case here...

winjim

Smash the cistern

On the other hand, the old tw@t on the bike knew that shouting and verbal abuse shouldn't be done, but ahead he went.

I really hope he gets what he deserves.
She literally had to pass an exam to prove that she did know what constitutes proper use of the horn. Her right to drive on the road is predicated on that knowledge.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I had almost diametrically opposite situation happen to me over twenty years ago - long before helmet or dash cams were a thing
(still haven't got one now tbh)

I was cycling through our local town heavily pregnant, about two weeks off due date, and a nobber in a "let's off road" type 4wd tried to push past me in the narrows.

I stopped and told him what I thought of his road 'skills' as any closer and he would have been physically pushing my back tyre.

Of course it wasn't until I stood up off the bike that he noticed my 'condition' which I think took the wind out of his 'my vehicle's bigger than yours' petrol head sails (mix those metaphors baby.:rolleyes:)

I didn't even bring the being pregnant bit up, it was obvious, and he shouldn't have been driving like that anyway, whoever was on the bike.

But Just imagine the roasting he'd get on social media now??

Hopefully it made him think a bit, before he tried to muscle past another cyclist, who knows??

On balance it's best left to the authorities to judge these things properly, it must be so easy to edit films in your favour.

But I guess having the chance of being caught on film being an utter @rshol might help with some anger management maybe.

BigMeatball

She literally had to pass an exam to prove that she did know what constitutes proper use of the horn. Her right to drive on the road is predicated on that knowledge.

Did you know what cyclists were and were not allowed to do on the roads before you became a cyclist yourself?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Regardless of what cyclists are permitted to do, I really don't understand the mindset where you have two cyclists riding two abreast when there is a car behind

It is a nothing thing to single out, let them through and give them a quick raise of the hand as they pass

Costs the cyclist nothing to do this, everyone is happy sharing the road as a result. Of course you can say that cyclists are "entitled" to ride two abreast but, for a few seconds, maybe it's better to forget the entitlement argument and spread the road use love?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Did you know what cyclists were and were not allowed to do on the roads before you became a cyclist yourself?
Cycles are entitled to be on the road, Motor vehicles are only permitted after they've paid an annual fee (based on their level of pollution)
Bikes were around years before Cars, I think they got more 'self-entitled' when they abolished the bloke with the Red Flag walking in front to warn people that one of these fume belching monstrosities was approaching.

Drago

Legendary Member
She's the driver of a car on a public road - it is her absolute duty to observe all prevailing laws, and claiming ignorance is no defence. Claiming they didn't know never helped anyone else when they get caught stepping outside the law, so why do you thjink it makes her behaviour any more understandable or acceptable?

There's no argument, the cyclist was an absolute tool, but we need also make no mistake that this woman chose to set this chain of events in motion with her own impatience and unlawful behaviour. If she doesn't like consequences, then she needs to think before unnecessarily acting unlawfully.

no matter how minor the transgression, the law can only protect people who obey it themselves. Once you step outside of it in even the teensiest way you open up a Pandora's box of unpredictable consequences. I don't use my horn as anything other than a warning device and these things never happen to me. Conversely, I don't unload on car drivers so don't end up all over the media looking like a twunt. Like random molecules in a near vacuum, it was their own behaviour that brought two chumps together that day - not bad luck, not chance, not the divine almighty, but her own behaviour, his own behaviour.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I familiarised myself with the contents of the highway code prior to taking my driving theory test and I have undertaken to keep myself up to date with it as part of the conditions of my licence to drive. Which is the entirety of the point I was making.

Her use of the horn was inappropriate and as a UK driving licence holder she should know that.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Regardless of what cyclists are permitted to do, I really don't understand the mindset where you have two cyclists riding two abreast when there is a car behind

It is a nothing thing to single out, let them through and give them a quick raise of the hand as they pass

Costs the cyclist nothing to do this, everyone is happy sharing the road as a result. Of course you can say that cyclists are "entitled" to ride two abreast but, for a few seconds, maybe it's better to forget the entitlement argument and spread the road use love?
I assume you mean where the cyclists actually block the road so there is no room for a car to pass? I agree there as Id rather not have an impatient driver behind me.

On the other hand, as long as there is room for a car to pass, I'm not going to single file for every car that wants to pass.

I said in another post that it does look a bit suspicious so keep quiet, ok?

So far it's only speculation and probably we'll never know the whole story but based on the limited recordings we've got, we can't say he's not at fault.
Well i was working my way down the thread in order.
I think you need to decide what you think.
You'd be an unreliable witness in my book.
"Can't say he's not at fault".

?

Hardly damning.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
As Bazzer said above
Rules 59-82
Rule 66
You should

• keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
  • keep both feet on the pedals
  • never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
  • not ride close behind another vehicle
  • not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
  • be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.
Highway Code
Wording of The Highway Code
Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'll seat here waiting for the usual suspects to start with their "oh, but it says should so it's not really a rule" entitled crap
I am a bit confused as to why you are so invested in this? Surely you can see that nobody on this thread (including you) really knows what went on and that they both behaved badly, so why are you blaming the cyclist and making up that you know what the thoughts were of the driver?
As for the 'entitled crap', I am not sure how entitled it is to know and respect the law, I would have thought that it would be a prerequisite to function in life.

Top Bottom