Cyclist down + A+E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
Yep, never, ever, ever going to Battersea park again on a Saturday. Had only just got there as well, was doing a fair speed (probably shouldn't have been) 15-20mph on a clear (so I thought) stretch of the path. One of those kids on those rent-a-recumbents was on literally the other side of the wide path, going the same way as me. "Oh, that's ok" I thinks. Then said kid decides the best thing to do is to do a wide, fast, unprompted 90 degree turn right in front of me, leaving me absolutely helpless and smacking into the tarmac.
Nice couple came and helped (first thing I said was 'is my bike alright?', and I'm not kidding!), happened to have some antiseptic foam spray thing. Bike seems fine (wheels true) but haven't ridden it yet of course.

Long story not very short, end up at A+E, forearm cut down to the muscle (eek! You could see the white stuff), got to watch doctor snipping and gouging and scraping at the rather large wound whilst under local anaesthetic. Lovely. Now dressing has to be changed twice a week. Some impact bruising on hip too. Yay!

The worst thing is my brand new (1 day old) fingerless mitts are ripped on the right palm. F*ckers.

montage

God Almighty
at least there arent footprints in the butter....

....ok Ill get a glass of water and head to bed

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Ouch and have you any photos of the battle scars :biggrin::evil:. No seriously I hope you are back on the bike ASAP and not incapacitated for too long mate.
Radius said:
Yep, never, ever, ever going to Battersea park again on a Saturday. Had only just got there as well, was doing a fair speed (probably shouldn't have been) 15-20mph on a clear (so I thought) stretch of the path. One of those kids on those rent-a-recumbents was on literally the other side of the wide path, going the same way as me. "Oh, that's ok" I thinks. Then said kid decides the best thing to do is to do a wide, fast, unprompted 90 degree turn right in front of me, leaving me absolutely helpless and smacking into the tarmac.
Nice couple came and helped (first thing I said was 'is my bike alright?', and I'm not kidding!), happened to have some antiseptic foam spray thing. Bike seems fine (wheels true) but haven't ridden it yet of course.

Long story not very short, end up at A+E, forearm cut down to the muscle (eek! You could see the white stuff), got to watch doctor snipping and gouging and scraping at the rather large wound whilst under local anaesthetic. Lovely. Now dressing has to be changed twice a week. Some impact bruising on hip too. Yay!

The worst thing is my brand new (1 day old) fingerless mitts are ripped on the right palm. F*ckers.

longers

Legendary Member
Ouch, sounds nasty. Hope you heal soon.

Don't worry about the glove, just think what your hands would be like if you didn't have them on. They should be classed as a consumable of cycling.

Oooowch! :laugh:

That sounds like a sore one. I hope the adrenilin kept you pain free until the meds kicked in.

Mucho sympathy!

Of course, as has been hinted at earlier, this thread is useless without pictures! :biggrin:

Get better soon Radius!

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Bongman said:
:ohmy: Did he come off just as bad!?

downfader said:
I was wondering the same.

I'm not sure how, but I completely avoided any contact with him whatsoever. Very odd, could have been worse for both of us. Just heard a little 'sowee' wimpered from my left whilst lying on the ground (not due to injury per se, just cos I was pissed off! :biggrin:)

Angelfishsolo said:
Ouch and have you any photos of the battle scars :biggrin::evil:. No seriously I hope you are back on the bike ASAP and not incapacitated for too long mate.

Cathryn said:
Have the bruises come out yet?? They're always the best thing about a crash.
Heal up soon, though Radius.

Cheers, and no, not yet. The worst one if dressed up anyway, it looks pretty gruesome uncovered but I can't take it off...maybe I'll get a shot of all the others and the blood seeping through the bandage :laugh:
Nasty great bruise on my thigh, but doesn't hurt too much this morning, feels like a footballing injury.

longers said:
Ouch, sounds nasty. Hope you heal soon.

Don't worry about the glove, just think what your hands would be like if you didn't have them on. They should be classed as a consumable of cycling.

This is true. But they were very nice gloves :tongue:

summerdays said:
How did you get to A&E....did someone come and recover you? it sounds a nasty wound.

Luckily my grandparents live just next to Battersea park across the bridge, so my grandma got a quick call after I'd been temporarily patched up. Left my bike at theirs and was taken - in a taxi no less - to Chelsea + Westminster A+E.
That was the only thing I thought was a bit silly about what people said to me: "You should probably go to hospital to get that checked out, it's really deep...". And how do you propose I get there? Cycle? Er, no. Walk? Why don't you try... (I was very grateful for having the soled SPD shoes rather than road cleats because I had to hobble a fair way...)

magnatom said:
Oooowch! xx(

That sounds like a sore one. I hope the adrenilin kept you pain free until the meds kicked in.

Mucho sympathy!

Of course, as has been hinted at earlier, this thread is useless without pictures! :biggrin:

Get better soon Radius!

Cheers Mags, yes the adrenaline seemed to work. Only started hurting whilst waiting for hours to be seen! Took lots of painkillers, and doesn't seem to hurt too much now, the superficial grazes are more irritating.

Thanks all for the replies, possibly pics on their way :smile: :tongue:

Hope you get well soon Radius. Almost the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Thankfully I landed on a grass verge and got away with a small bruise, the bike wasn't quite so lucky.

I hope you gave the miscreant a volley of "advice" following your off? :biggrin:

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Yes, landing on slightly gravel-y concrete is not very desirable....

As per 'advice', I didn't actually say anything, I think I was far too nice :biggrin: In fact I ended up having a bit of a laugh with the couple who helped me. They were a bit confused as to why I was joking and smiling whilst bleeding rather profusely from the arm :laugh:

Top Bottom