Cyclist Down in Egremont

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Ouch.

I hit the deck today going round a roundabout heading into work. Speed around 20mph and I had cleared the sharp part of the corner, but there was a small patch of diesel which took my front wheel out from under me and I ended up sprawled out on the road.

The damage seems to be wrecked bar tape and the right hand sti is spun round inwards. The rear mech has a nice scrape but appears to be straight - bike now being looked at by LBS. My helmet is cracked and I've holed my (new) sealskinz gloves and jacket.

As for me other than a bit of road rash and a blood blister I'm pretty much ok :smile:

All this because I decided to take the safer gritted road! On a positive note I actually had a white van stop and ask if I was ok (no I didn't hit my head that hard :biggrin:)

Be careful everyone, just because there's a new hazard doesn't mean the old ones go away!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ouch.

I hit the deck today going round a roundabout heading into work. Speed around 20mph and I had cleared the sharp part of the corner, but there was a small patch of diesel which took my front wheel out from under me and I ended up sprawled out on the road.

The damage seems to be wrecked bar tape and the right hand sti is spun round inwards. The rear mech has a nice scrape but appears to be straight - bike now being looked at by LBS. My helmet is cracked and I've holed my (new) sealskinz gloves and jacket.

As for me other than a bit of road rash and a blood blister I'm pretty much ok :smile:

All this because I decided to take the safer gritted road! On a positive note I actually had a white van stop and ask if I was ok (no I didn't hit my head that hard :biggrin:)

Be careful everyone, just because there's a new hazard doesn't mean the old ones go away!

Ouch! Glad you're OK, McShroom.

Put the bike up for a few days because last year I found plenty of black ice on the local B and more minor roads. Thank goodness your all right and you are right the hazards you least expect are the worst one's

Glad to hear its mainly damaged pride.

I came off a few years back in similar circumstances, no damage to my bike but clothing and helmet knackered. I managed to claim for them on my household insurance.

Is it me or does there seem to be more diesel around on the roads these days?

avsd

Guru
Gald to hear you are OK. It sounds painful. Hope you get the bike back together soon and you are not too stiff tomorrow morning :thumbsup:

Finn

Having just tasted the winter tarmac i can sympathise. Hope you and the bike are doing ok.

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Thanks everyone. I think it is more pride that's hurting than anything else.

I still have no diagnosis for the bike, but the workshop was quite full when I dropped it off and I put it in for a service at the same time so it may be they haven't got round to it yet. An initial look over it from the shop they were pretty certain the STI has spun on the bars rather than bent and that it basically seems to have come off well considering.

I've just checked my MTB over so I'm ready to be back on the road. I almost took it this morning which I now wish I had.

I hope you are ok too Finn, what happened?

Finn

An initial look over it from the shop they were pretty certain the STI has spun on the bars rather than bent and that it basically seems to have come off well considering.

Just found mine have only twisted round too from what i can make out MC. Must have been a case of holding on for dear life when i fell. Seems to shift ok but no doubt the cable might need a tweak or six

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just found mine have only twisted round too from what i can make out MC. Must have been a case of holding on for dear life when i fell. Seems to shift ok but no doubt the cable might need a tweak or six

Much better twisted round than bent at least :smile:

The indexing on mine wasn't that bad even in it's new position, which considering that part of the bar took the brunt of the impact (ripped bar tape all along the right hand side of the bar) was pretty good.

Tynan

Veteran
lost the front wheel completely on desiel once, no warning and whoosh, over i went, not sure what you can really do, proper slippy desiel is very hard to spot on tarmac

Top Bottom