Cyclist down - North Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was a bit confused over your user name and thought you'd had a sex change, then realized I was thinking of Eat My Dust, duh!

Tharg2007

Veteran
does it have carbon forks? also check the frame very carefully, look for any ripples around the head tube. A crash on front forks means replacement forks if they are carbon regardless of any visible damage. Also frame may have been weakened, look at it very closely especially around the joints.

Sorry to hear of your collision! Glad to hear you are 'ok' though.

Regarding the lights, there was a discussion somewhere on the forum a while back about flashing / steady. *I* think, in traffic situations, a flashing gets you noticed as a cyclist and makes you stand out a bit from other lights (if it's dark and the cars have their lights on). I prefer to ride with a solid light if it's really dark so I can see where I'm going; I would suggest for optimum visibility and noticibility to use both.

However, having a flashing light can make it harder for cars to judge your speed and how far away you are - so if you're on a country road and just having a light means you are noticed, it might be better to have a solid light (front and rear) so the car can judge better where you are, especially if it is moving relatively fast.

I'm in South Manchester and have a set of AyUps - I note someone else offered to compare their setup with yours and I extend the same offer.

Hope you're back on your bike soon!

eatmydust

SavageHoutkop said:
Sorry to hear of your collision! Glad to hear you are 'ok' though.

Regarding the lights, there was a discussion somewhere on the forum a while back about flashing / steady. *I* think, in traffic situations, a flashing gets you noticed as a cyclist and makes you stand out a bit from other lights (if it's dark and the cars have their lights on). I prefer to ride with a solid light if it's really dark so I can see where I'm going; I would suggest for optimum visibility and noticibility to use both.

However, having a flashing light can make it harder for cars to judge your speed and how far away you are - so if you're on a country road and just having a light means you are noticed, it might be better to have a solid light (front and rear) so the car can judge better where you are, especially if it is moving relatively fast.

I'm in South Manchester and have a set of AyUps - I note someone else offered to compare their setup with yours and I extend the same offer.

Hope you're back on your bike soon!

yes thanks for that! i think i will have 2 lights on the front in future. i'll keep my old one and get a really good new one, and have one flashing and one not. thanks for the advice

eatmydust

Tharg2007 said:
does it have carbon forks? also check the frame very carefully, look for any ripples around the head tube. A crash on front forks means replacement forks if they are carbon regardless of any visible damage. Also frame may have been weakened, look at it very closely especially around the joints.

no its not carbon. i havent looked at my bike yet, but Matt says the frame/forks is ok. just a mangled wheel! i may well take it to LBS for a quick once over though

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
eatmydust said:
yes thanks for that! i think i will have 2 lights on the front in future. i'll keep my old one and get a really good new one, and have one flashing and one not. thanks for the advice

For flashing lights that are funky looking have a look at the Knog Skinks. http://www.knog.com.au/

trio25

Über Member
Not 100% where you are but if Cooksons cycles is near enough take it to them for a look over. I honestly think they are the best bike shop and will take time to check it correctly.

I am not a fan of flashing lights on the front, although I have a small flashing light that I sometimes put on. But I use my big light from mountain biking on the front. Someone I worked with the other day drove past me and the next day was telling me how effective it was so I think maybe a really bright light works. That way its never off and they are often unaware you are a bike!

I still think in morning/evening traffic when there are lots of slow-ish moving cars, a flashing light will get more notice than a solid light as it stands out from the car headlights. For instance, if a cyclist is legitimately pedalling away up the inside of a line of solid traffic (think cycle lane), and a car is waiting to turn right into that solid line (or, in fact, across it); a cursory glance will show stationary traffic and I don't think the cyclist will stand out. Then, and if one of the cars slows down to let the other car in, the car which is crossing may well not see the cyclist.

trio25

Über Member
But you are more likely to see my light that is on steady than my flasher, which is basically a backup light. with my main light on you can't really see it as the main light is so bright!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Once you have an extremely bright light, it doesn't seem to matter too much whether it's constant or steady when related to vehicles waiting at side roads. Flashing has a slight advantage in that it strongly encourages motons to move out your way when filtering on the offside.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just a thought...if you can't get the exact front wheel as before, I'd be going for a matching set from the third party.... don't forget it has to be put back to original condition - even things like scratched pedals, bar ends etc. The third party's insurers from my incident paid up within 6 weeks for new pedals, bar ends, skewers and a saddle - superficial damage to them - the only thing I replaced was the saddle (but that came from another bike)....

Top Bottom