Cyclist down - North Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Tharg2007 said:
out of interest what happens to the bike in these situations? do the police take it away and keep it safe?

Depends on the force... my local one tends to keep the bike in the staff cycle sheds I'm told, unless someone can take it from the scene. If its needed for anything more serious like forensics then it goes elsewhere I'd imagine.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Glad to hear you're back home - gws and hope you heal quickly!
Plenty of pampering for you! poor Matty!:biggrin:

eatmydust

Tharg2007 said:
out of interest what happens to the bike in these situations? do the police take it away and keep it safe?

yes the police eventually took it for collection from the station later. they offered to drop it at home, but there was no one there at that time. so Matt picked it up for me. the driver who hit me even offered to take it for me ... but i said No Way! we'll wait for the police!

eatmydust

trio25 said:
Glad you are home and sound in good spirits. Now do you need to get a new bike?

no. just a new front wheel..(which Matty just happened to have lurking in the garage and has already fitted!) havent looked at my precious or the wheel yet ;)

amrushton

Tharg2007 said:

On the last occasion, my bike was put in the ambulance with me but only after the paramedic and the attending PC had commented how light it was and was it expensive? I was strapped to a backboard having a surreal discussion about bikes. The last 'off' I saw, the riders mate came and collected it. Depends on the goodwill of people usually.

eatmydust

amrushton said:
Sorry to hear about your accident but glad to hear you are recovering. My partner and I regularly cycle Bury Old/New Rd and I generally regard it as 'safe'. She uses an upgraded Solidlight powered by a dynamo and it's seriously bright. I use a Lumicycle LED3 and an HID lamp. If you wanted to compare these to your light drop me an email and we'll try to arrange something.

yes, i think Bury New Rd is relatively safe...(safer than Bury Old rd...cheetham hill is a nightmare) until you get a numpty driver of course! i thought my lights were quite bright (some cats eye one i think) but maybe not very big. Matt recently got one from Germany at a good price, which is big and very bright, compared to mine. (Ixon IQ 60 Euros incl bracket for big handelbars)
hopefully, santa is listening???
do you guys have your front light on flashing mode or steady beam? i think flashing would be more noticable...but apparantly not legal??

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
eatmydust said:
yes, i think Bury New Rd is relatively safe...(safer than Bury Old rd...cheetham hill is a nightmare) until you get a numpty driver of course! i thought my lights were quite bright (some cats eye one i think) but maybe not very big. Matt recently got one from Germany at a good price, which is big and very bright, compared to mine. (Ixon IQ 60 Euros incl bracket for big handelbars)
hopefully, santa is listening???
do you guys have your front light on flashing mode or steady beam? i think flashing would be more noticable...but apparantly not legal??

Flashing is perfectly legal nowadays. I'm a big believer in powerful lights, just be aware that even they don't guarantee drivers looking and/or seeing you. You do get ignored far less, and drivers alter their behaviour around lights that bright.

I have an Exposure Maxx-D front light and a Redeye rear. These are probably brighter than 99.9% of other cyclists' lights, and most people think I'm a car/motorbike.

trio25

Über Member
eatmydust said:
no. just a new front wheel..(which Matty just happened to have lurking in the garage and has already fitted!) havent looked at my precious or the wheel yet ;)

That's a shame, a new bike would be nice and you have lots of time to research it!

eatmydust

trio25 said:
That's a shame, a new bike would be nice and you have lots of time to research it!

nah!! i love my bike and its quite new. i only got it in March this year. hopefully it will be good as new, with a new wheel, and new and improved lightage.

Get well soon eatmydust, hadn't read this thread properly 'till now, sounds awful but I'm glad you're on here posting about it.

trio25

Über Member
eatmydust said:
nah!! i love my bike and its quite new. i only got it in March this year. hopefully it will be good as new, with a new wheel, and new and improved lightage.

Okay then as long as the bike gets some present. I mean he/she is probably a little traumatised and is now missing out on getting out in the lovely weather!

HobbesChoice

As everyone has said, it's lovely to hear that you're back home again now and didn't need the operation. We hear so many sad stories of accidents in the news etc it feels nice to keep updated on your happier ending.

You sound so upbeat too so you have my admiration there.

I hope both you and Matty carry on getting through this so positively. You sound like you're a great couple.

Take lots of care - both of you.

eatmydust

trio25 said:
Okay then as long as the bike gets some present. I mean he/she is probably a little traumatised and is now missing out on getting out in the lovely weather!

aw i know! poor thing.. maybe i'll put on the new monkeylectirc lights and take her outside in the dark and give her wheel a few spins:laugh:

Top Bottom