Cyclist down - North Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattybain

Antoher SMIDSY and this one is way too close to home, it was my girlfriend.

She was cycling down Bury New Road at around 7am when a car travelling in the opposite direction turned right into her path. Despite her wearing hi viz, having good lights and even shouting at the motorist he failed to stop and hit her at speed (trying to get through the gap in traffic).

Although the injuries sound pretty bad (she has broken her neck) they think she will be okay although she will probably have to have some surgery later today.

Thankfully she was wearing her helmet as it was totally destroyed by the impact.

She was lucky that someone from HMP Strangeways who was trained as a first aider stopped and took control of the situation and made sure she didn't move.

I would also like to add that the NHS have been wonderful and she is being looked after amazingly by the doctors and nurses in Salford Royal Hope Hospital.

Fingers crossed she will be okay but please be careful out there!!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Yikes!! Hope the idiot stopped and you have all the details from them.

Glad she's (sort of) okay and that the First Aider was on hand to assist her, and I hope she gets well soon and isn't put off cycling too much.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bloody hell mate, very nasty. Put's my little SMIDSY this morning into perspective.
Sincerely hope that she has a speedy recovery without any complications.

OP
OP
M

mattybain

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Yikes!! Hope the idiot stopped and you have all the details from them.

Glad she's (sort of) okay and that the First Aider was on hand to assist her, and I hope she gets well soon and isn't put off cycling too much.

The police got all the details. We will let the CTC legal people sort it out.

The only thing she is really worried about is that they had to cut her lovely DHB jacket and pink cycling top off her!!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Matty, I hope she a really smooth and speedy recovery.

How are you coping? it must have shaken you up a little as well. Heres to the both of you, send "girlf" our best wishes....and take care of you too

That is awful. I wish her all the best for a good recovery. That happened to my Dad a few years back, he had both tendons below the knee smashed & was in hospital for a long time. He went back to cycling though, can't remember his age though, probably in his 70s?

Anyway, take it easy yourself so you'll be a good support to her. x

Top Bottom