Cyclist fatality Southwark bridge today, lorry collision.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyingfox

joebe said:
Given the whole of upper Thames Street was closed, was it on the corner? I.e. turning left off UTS on tho the bridge. There are currently roadworks there at the moment and it's down to 1 narrow lane at the lights.

Horrible news

The accident wasn't on Southwark Bridge, but on the Eastbound carriageway on Upper Thames Street, just before Dowgate Hill. I actually decided to cycle that way this morning, and had to divert onto a side street due to the accident. Apparently it was a female cyclist and a site lorry that were involved. One policeman said she had tried to go between two lorries, but there was only one lorry parked at the scene.

Just awful.

S

sternwood

Flyingfox said:
The accident wasn't on Southwark Bridge, but on the Eastbound carriageway on Upper Thames Street, just before Dowgate Hill. I actually decided to cycle that way this morning, and had to divert onto a side street due to the accident. Apparently it was a female cyclist and a site lorry that were involved. One policeman said she had tried to go between two lorries, but there was only one lorry parked at the scene.

Just awful.

Oh, thanks fox.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Flyingfox said:

Just awful.

According to City of London Police, a 40 year old male died at 07.20 on Upper Thames St this morning.

http://www.movingtargetzine.com/article/cyclist-killed-by-lorry-upper-thames-street#comment

S

sternwood

8th London cyclist to have died as the result of a collision with a HGV/LGV/lorry in 2008.

S

sternwood

Hiya.I work oposite where this tragic fatality occured this morning.It was a man not a lady.Our cctv caught the accident and according to the health and safety officer who saw the footage there were two lorrys following one another .The cyclist slighty swerved(not out of the bike lane) and basicly the lorry "hovered" him up and he come out the back.the lorry behind stopped.I cycle here but do not use this stretch on upper thames street of bike lane.They had roadworks all the way along ,also motorbikes love to use the bike lane.(i have rang the police nearly every week about this).
Everyone here feels very sad for the mans family ...this is the second death near ny building ( the other being Sebastian in 2003 on the corner of southwark bridge).
Hopefully something will be done to make this road safer for EVERYONE.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12586757&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Another one?

http://www.movingtargetzine.com/article/another-cyclist-killed-by-lorry-kensington-high-street

jmaccyd

Got caught in the traffic today and realised very quickly that it was a fatality. Sad news, and at the same spot another cyclist (I believe) was killed a few years ago

domtyler

Über Member
Just got this in my inbox, cascaded out to the whole of our London office:

From: CTAlerts@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk [mailto:CTAlerts@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk]
Sent: 25 September 2008 15:51
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: iModus Message (High Priority, CT Email) - Road Collision - Appeal for witnesses

Road Collision - Thursday 18 September 2008

At approximately 7.20am on Thursday 18 September on Upper Thames Street at the junction with Queen Street, a death occurred as a result of a collision between a lorry and a pedal cyclist.

Did you see or hear anything?

Please contact the City of London Police with any information you may have. Call 020 7601 2222 and ask for the Roads Policing Unit.

Message Url: https://www.imodus.com/messagedetail.aspx?messageid=D0P
Message Id: D0P

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:
yeah but a truck and cyclist collision what % is that

Just seems that a lot of people are jumping on the ''blame the lorry'' bandwagon. Just wanted to know why.

We don't know, and it's likely to be a higher proportion of cyclists to blame given that most HGV drivers are of much better quality than car drivers. My guess is that even then the HGV driver will still be to blame in more than half of this sort of collision.

Jake

i don;t know if some cyclists understand how a lorry drives, the way it has to tackle a corner, the room and distance they need. Maybe this is becuaes cyclists don't encounter them much. cyclists should be more aware for sure. I am in no way saying some aren't and that a percentage of the crashes are caused by lorry drivers, and they should be aware of us too

Top Bottom