Cyclist fatality Southwark bridge today, lorry collision.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well, I'm sure that some cyclists are to blame for this sort of accident through bad riding, but I also think it's quite logical to assume it's rather more likely to be the lorry driver's fault given the stats.

Who brings the danger to this situation, and who thus has much much more responsibility to take care? It's not as though the cyclist is likely to kill a lorry driver in a collision.

hackbike 6

Blind spots.

Jake

we've all seen some of the way some of our cycling brothes and sisters use the roads so not all is the big 20ton lorrys fault. like a car driver, you have to read the road ahead and that includes possible dangers. And if your driving any motorised veichle in town, drivers should be aware. oh i'm bored.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jake said:
we've all seen some of the way some of our cycling brothes and sisters use the roads so not all is the big 20ton lorrys fault. like a car driver, you have to read the road ahead and that includes possible dangers. And if your driving any motorised veichle in town, drivers should be aware. oh i'm bored.

How is this any different to what I wrote above? Are you trying to say it's more likely to be the cyclist's fault?

hackbike 6

What Jake said.....I had tended to scoot up the Left Hand side of lorries many times but with all these accidents I tend not to now.Ok I can time it and generally get it right but one cock up could have put me in trouble.I tend to hang back in view of his mirrors.Must admit some lorries are aggressive when they are behind you cycling down from Tower Gateway.

No im not trying to say it's the cyclists (all the time) fault but I have done a few dodgy undertakes in my time and I have seen others doing it as well.

hackbike 6

User3143 said:
Believe me you would, the unit alone weighs almost 8 tonnes. It just ain't worth it.

Depends on the circumstances.

Anyway as I said I may have done it in the past but I don't think it's clever and I am aware of the lorry's blind spots that I decided to be more careful and take less chances.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:

The problem being that hardly anyone knows what the proper slowing down / stopping signal is. Also, I was not intending to slow down or stop, I intended only to discourage him from overtaking me when there wasn't space to do so. Perhaps you could tell us all the proper handsignal for that? Kenya coffee tin shake? LOLOL!

In my experience, the pushing back with palm faced back is far more effective, and if you search you'll see it recommended by quite a few other cyclists as being very effective in just this sort of situation.

Top Bottom