Cyclist gets caught with 'help up hills' motor.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You've got to laugh. He claimed the motor was just a small one to help him up hills' but the judge didn't see the funny side:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rol-engine-push-bike-help-Teesside-hills.html

DM call it 'powered by a petrol tank' in their usual style.

Predictable DM comments section with lots of hate and very little knowledge - especially about ebikes

The actual bike is quite well made -illegal - but possibly well made

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Predictable DM comments section with lots of hate and very little knowledge - especially about ebikes

The actual bike is quite well made -illegal - but possibly well made
I don't know, the top comments seem to be praising the chap and criticising the police and courts...

I find that very hard to believe
My ex mother-in-law always got the DM - weird as she is an immigrant - but she kept the last couple of weeks copies in a pile
I used to like going through them playing "spot the journalism" - some very good writing in there with lots of facts
the actual facts could normally be found on the 2nd page of a very long article - and were there to justify the rabble rousing comments in the first 2 or 3 paragraphs
Very well written to be able to make apparently ridiculous comments and make it impossible to sue them because the facts were all reported accurately - albeit rather later on
Very interesting little game!

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Awful lot of poor and lazy journalism in the DM but they do have some good contributers, John Humphreys had a regular column on there now.

Last edited:
I have seen a normal bicycle round here with a small petrol engine on it. It goes quite fast for a bike - can;t be this one as there are no hills in the area I have seen it.
Clearly illegal - but he does seem to ride it sensibly - although I can't imaging the brakes are up to stopping it properly and if he crashes I just hope he doesn't take anyone with him! - i.e. if he crashes and hurts himself - he took a risk and got bitten - if he takes someone else out he deserves all he gets from the law!

postman

Legendary Member
I was waiting to go into Seacroft hospital last week.When I saw exactly the same conversion.Pavement riding after totally ignoring road users total nobhead,and totally illegal.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks like a tidy conversion, wouldn't take much to get it registered and insured as a moped.
Nah the brakes need 'type approval' there was someone joined on here a few months back asking that very question and no bike brake has ever been through that process, you'd need brakes from a moped. There's also the issue of rear brake lights, a motorbike doesn't need lights (unless being ridden after 'lighting up time) but must have a rear brake light to pass an MOT.

Top Bottom