Cyclist Gets Knocked Down & Run Over By A Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

That is your answer.

The ambulance and fire service both like to let the public know they are getting something for their money.

Thus when the firefighters, for example, strike for more money, the public has already been drip fed the message of what a tremendous year-round job they do.
Here's an old article from The Spectator.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2008/07/our-lazy-firemen-must-make-a-radical-change/[/QUOTE]
We have a similar thing in Denmark. FALK. They also clear up dead animals on the road and provide an ambulance service for wild animals and birds.

I'd question why The Ambulance Service requires a press spokesman at all. What next? An Undertakers' Spokesman to keep the Press happy when the patient dies?

Because the press seem to think it is their right to get information from any organisation, at any time they want to. If they do not get information they write what they want depending on what crisis/scandal they think is more controversial..

It is better to put out consistent messages via press officers rather than busy working staff who are more concerned about dealing with the public.

icowden

Veteran
I don't understand how somebody blabbing at a press conference about a patient's condition has anything to do with "Ethics" or "Privacy".

Quite what "Governance" is, God knows.

Look closer. They said nothing about the patient's condition as that would breach Information Governance rules unless the patient has consented to sharing that information. The statement is only about what they did:-

We sent two ambulances and treated a man who was the cyclist for potentially serious injuries.

That's exactly why Information Governance is important, and a media spokesperson essential. A busy nurse or doctor might accidentally give details of the injuries sustained, or the treatment being undertaken. After the Westminster Bridge attack journalists spent a lot of time trying to get conversations with doctors and nurses in order to write "scoops", and the hospital trust spent a lot of time reminding staff to refer them to the Media Team and offer no comment.

icowden

Veteran
Injuries sustained doesn't matter, just so long as no information is given that would unreasonably identify the patient without their consent.

True, but usually that would be avoided just in case the description of the injuries might identify the patient. Statements are usually quite non-specific (e.g. we are treating 3 patients with serious injuries and 12 walking wounded).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It is not up to the journalist to apportion blame - courts do that.

Thus the language of the report is neutral 'a crash between a car and a cyclist'.
No, neutral would be either "a collision between a car and a cycle" or "...a motorist and a cyclist". Saying "...between a car and a cyclist" seems more like calling a stabbing "a crash between a knife and a person"!

I'm all for slagging off a journalist where it's deserved, but in this case the journalist, whether by luck or judgment, has taken the correct approach.
Yeah: no. It's deserved in this case. Even if the emergency service has used prejudiced language, a good journalist should neutralise it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No, neutral would be either "a collision between a car and a cycle" or "...a motorist and a cyclist". Saying "...between a car and a cyclist" seems more like calling a stabbing "a crash between a knife and a person"!

Yeah: no. It's deserved in this case. Even if the emergency service has used prejudiced language, a good journalist should neutralise it.

The reporter will have thought about this for all of 10 seconds.

No one other than a few obsessives on a cycling forum has the time or inclination to split hairs to the nth degree.

There is no anti-cyclist conspiracy here however much you would like to think there is.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The reporter will have thought about this for all of 10 seconds.

No one other than a few obsessives on a cycling forum has the time or inclination to split hairs to the nth degree.

There is no anti-cyclist conspiracy here however much you would like to think there is.
Nice aunt Sally you have there.

Not conspiracy but prejudice and a thoughtless journalist is still a shoot journalist.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I've just seen this and what a mess. I don't live a far from this and i did see early this morning a gentleman screaming at parked cars as he walked past. I thought he was upset with cars and that i understand how he feels but then I said good morning to him and he screamed at me... Either way, whatever the cause, i sincerely hope the cyclist makes a full recovery...

Zahraauk

This is our colleague who got ran over. He's been cycling from Tamworth to Heartlands Hospital for years.

Wears all the gear. Helmet,, high vis, go pro etc

This happened on his way home. He was in surgery all day Wednesday. Things dont look good.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
This is our colleague who got ran over. He's been cycling from Tamworth to Heartlands Hospital for years.

Wears all the gear. Helmet,, high vis, go pro etc

This happened on his way home. He was in surgery all day Wednesday. Things dont look good.

He was in surgery all day Wednesday. Crushed pelvis . Other broken bones 'life changing' injuries

Sadly all that gear will not have made a difference as the car simply mows him down and then proceeds to run over him. This is why i can understand Cyclists frustration at motorists. Yes, we all make mistakes, cyclists alike but one has a more detrimental and devastating effect than the other. At least with the gopro i hope he and his family can get answers and then finally the help he needs to recover over the coming years onwards. I wish him all the best...

Top Bottom